Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone playing their bass with? Every harness and strap I have, I feel like I end up craning my neck down to meet the horn, they never stay up high enough.

I have an older harness that I can't tell who made it any more, as well as several neck straps. I HATE the way the neotech straps stretch as I play, it's infuriating!

What are y'all using?

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
The go to neck strap is Just Joe's....

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,948 Posts

Ouch! Not for a bass surely!

I hate harnesses so I am using a Jazzlabs Saxholder which takes a whole looad of weight off my neck. I used to only be able to play bass a about 10 minutes, now can play it for hours.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts

I hate harnesses so I am using a Jazzlabs Saxholder which takes a whole looad of weight off my neck. I used to only be able to play bass a about 10 minutes, now can play it for hours.
I gave up and I play it off a stand.

You are right, all the harnesses won't bring the horn up high enough without strangling you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,818 Posts
I use a Ludwig bass drum harness. I hook its 2 snap hooks to a large snap hook from a hardware store. It is designed to hold more weight than a bass saxophone and it holds the horn up high. Look in a music store that caters to high school bands. $30 - $50 I think.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,887 Posts
I don’t play bass (with the exception of few attempts just for fun) but if I would I wouldn’t certainly use the jazzlab that I have used for many years now with anything from soprano to tenor (occasional baritone use ans bass clarinet too).

There are several alternatives if playing in a sitting position and modern basses often offer a peg but that is a completely different thing.

Another thing is a the “ over the shoulder” straps which are particularly suited to playing bass (if shoulders are not a problem) and can be easily worn under a jacket or uniform.

·
1,146 Posts

He asked about neck straps....so I told him about the best one out there....and please don't call me surely.... :)

·
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use a Ludwig bass drum harness. I hook its 2 snap hooks to a large snap hook from a hardware store. It is designed to hold more weight than a bass saxophone and it holds the horn up high. Look in a music store that caters to high school bands. $30 - $50 I think.
I think I still have one of those, never thought to try it!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Sling is a good idea. Mine is not like milandro's pictures, though, it's simply a strap attached to the sax body in two places, with large zip ties. Climbing "rope", a flattened tube of woven nylon or something. Hanging from the neck was not good. The one harness I tried hung it too low; when tightened up enough to reach, it would cut off circulation to my arms. There's no reason the body is any less able to support its weight from two points of attachment, if it can safely hang from one.

·
38,887 Posts
slings can easily be a DIY construction by using a case strap ( like my protec).

A camera sling would also work well (these days they have very overzied carabiners quite capable to take the weight even of a bass )

·
Registered
681 Posts
+1.

I've used the Sax Holder, different harnesses, slings (like the Neo sling), and different straps. I've found the Just Joes to work the best for me.

The Neo sling works pretty well though if you can get it positioned correctly though. I feel like almost every other time, I'm having to mess with it to get it to sit right though.

·
38,887 Posts
as far as straps go, Just Joe is great and is up there with the best, but when it comes to add the weight of a very heavy horn hanging from something as weak as a neck ( unless you have trained your muscles with specific exercises ), it is just a matter of physics, anything as heavy as a bass saxophone hanging from the human neck will be producing discomfort or even injuries.

·
28,948 Posts
I would say again, with something as heavy as a bass, any strap/sling is asking for trouble if you intend to play it for any amount of time. This may not be apparent immediately but later on in life, once back and neck problems have set, in then it's too late.

Especially bad are the ones that that only go over one shoulder. OK for light instruments but not a bass as there can be incredible problems after many years of compensating for the assymetry. The effects on your spine can be devastating.

He asked about neck straps....so I told him about the best one out there....and please don't call me surely.... :)
He asked about straps and harnesses surely. A strap on your neck is not appropriate for carrying a bass for any extended amount of time. Surely.

But if you have experience of playing bass for significant amounts of time witn just a strap and have no problem or envisage no future problems then my hat is off to you surely! I don't mind admitting there are some people who could do this.

·
38,887 Posts
Makes you wonder doesn’t it?

·
1,146 Posts
I would say again, with something as heavy as a bass, any strap/sling is asking for trouble if you intend to play it for any amount of time. This may not be apparent immediately but later on in life, once back and neck problems have
He asked about straps and harnesses surely. A strap on your neck is not appropriate for carrying a bass for any extended amount of time. Surely.

But if you have experience of playing bass for significant amounts of time witn just a strap and have no problem or envisage no future problems then my hat is off to you surely! I don't mind admitting there are some people who could do this.
How would I know what the op is or isn't capable of? I made a suggestion....neck strap or harness, his choice....when you get a chance, Susie, watch some american movies, Airplane would be a good one.... :)

·
28,948 Posts
...when you get a chance, Susie, watch some american movies, Airplane would be a good one.... :)
I've seen it many times, hence my set up for your reply. No offence was meant. Surely you realised that? Or did you eat the fish? :)

·
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Honestly the only time I feel like the weight of the horn is bad when it can't stay up cinched like it should and I find myself contorting to strange places to reach the mouthpiece mid song. When I can keep it up in the proper playing position it isn't bad on neck strap or harness, hence wanting a better one!

I wasn't familiar with just Joes, but checking it out I think I am going to order some for my alto and tenor for sure! I have been using the old Planet Waves straps for several years, but they're no longer available and starting to be worn; their life is limited!

I'll get this figured out one way or another!

·
28,948 Posts
Honestly the only time I feel like the weight of the horn is bad when it can't stay up cinched like it should and I find myself contorting to strange places to reach the mouthpiece mid song. When I can keep it up in the proper playing position it isn't bad on neck strap or harness, hence wanting a better one!
That's a fair point so no worries then, but this applies to any saxophone, not just bass. (I assumed you were specifically referring to bass). It's worth considering though that even if it feels OK, after years and years of something heavy round your neck then medical problems can set in gradually, so slowly you don't notice until it is too late.

·
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's a fair point so no worries then, but this applies to any saxophone, not just bass. It's worth considering though that even if it feels OK, after years and years of soemthing heavy round your neck then medical problems can set in gradually, so slowly you don't notice until it is too late.
Totally a good point! Hopefully this search eventually finds me something that works well for me so I can still move as I play with comfort.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts