Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok warning the soap box is about to get stood upon.

1st of all I'd just to say I hate, REALLY HATE "dog clip" or any other type of clip that you can't un attach easily.

As I'm typing this I am realizing that it might be helpful to say that I am coming at this from a Doublers point of view. Often we have a measure to drop one horn and pick up another.

I like the old Ray Hyman's. They clip on and off easily, they are secure, they adjust easily, they do everything I need them to. The new ones look just like them at first glance, but they changed the nylon webbing so they don't adjust easily. NOT COOL!

As much as I like the Ray Hyman's I wish they were padded. That webbing can cut into your neck after time.

I would love to find a strap that was like, for example, a "Just Joes" where it felt so comfortable on the neck, but it had a clip like the Ray Hyman's.

Anybody else out there feel the same way I do or am I just alone in this picky pet peeve?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,373 Posts
As much as I like the Ray Hyman's I wish they were padded. That webbing can cut into your neck after time.

I would love to find a strap that was like, for example, a "Just Joes" where it felt so comfortable on the neck, but it had a clip like the Ray Hyman's.

Anybody else out there feel the same way I do or am I just alone in this picky pet peeve?
I'm with you - padded strap with open hook. Sounds like you need to order a Just Joe's Gel Strap with the J-hook (metal hook with a plastic coating). That's what I run.

https://justjoessaxgelstrap.com/purchase/

·
Registered
36 Posts
I like my Rico neck strap... comfy and adjusts easy, they make them with a metal open hook or the "dog leash" ...

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
+1 for old Ray Hymans. I sewed a comfy, furry piece to the neck section and find it very comfortable. I like the way the hook snaps into the tenor ring. Wish it did for the thinner alto ring. I haven't been playing tenor for a month or so, due to the arthritis, but was using a Pro Tech harness that has a difficult hook up. Especially because of the weak arthritic wrists. Got a call yesterday to help out a big band on tenor, so I might go back to the neck strap.

·
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The problem I had found with things like the "custom J hook" is if your not paying attention it just falls out when your resting and your horn is on your lap.

Though I like a Ray Hyman with a collared shirt, sometimes I wear a heavy T shirt, and since they have no collars, thats when I get into issues.

I do have a couple Rico straps that hang around, and they serve as a "next best thing", but of the 2 i have 1 lives in my bag I take to gigs as an emergency strap, ant the other I keep with my bass because I found out the hard way when the Bass broke my Hyman (I guess that didn't sound right). Fortunately I caught the horn before it fell.

So, thats my excuses..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,373 Posts
The problem I had found with things like the "custom J hook" is if your not paying attention it just falls out when your resting and your horn is on your lap.
The problem with a zipper on your pants is that it could get left open. :shock:

But we learn to develop good habits to ensure that doesn't happen, don't we? :twisted: :bluewink:

"Trust but verify" - Ronald Reagan.

·
Registered
739 Posts
More like not wearing underpants AND leaving zipper open. Not a good idea.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,837 Posts
I always change the hook on my sax straps. I buy long brass j hooks from China on eBay. They are not as hard as steel and they are thicker, so they don't wear out the strap ring as fast as steel, but they are strong. They are almost 2 inches long, so it isn't likely that rhey will fall out of the strap ring. Decades ago, I developed a habit of hooking my thumb around the strap hook when I was holding but not playing my horn. That was when I was playing with Wayne Cochran's CC Riders, and we did a LOT of choreography. Almost 50 years of using an open hook, and I have never dropped a saxophone.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I like the hook on the jazzlab saxholder. It is a steel hook with a plastic cover that includes a built in tab that prevents the hook from falling out of the strap ring under its own weight. It is quick and easy to hook and and unhook and feels secure. The rest of the saxholder is also nice in that it takes the weight off the neck.

CF28F0DE-6D71-47E2-9293-0E499ABEF1C2.jpeg

·
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
https://www.google.com/search?q=saxholder+jazzlab+hook&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj2oq-35LbgAhU0ITQIHQOkATEQ_AUoAnoECAwQAg&biw=320&bih=445#imgrc=dIH12Ze-FfUCEM

I like the hook on jazzlab saxholder. It is a steel hook with a plastic cover that includes a built in tab that prevents the hook from falling out of the strap ring under its own weight. It is quick and easy to hook and and unhook and feels secure. The rest of the saxholder is also nice in that it takes the weight off the neck.
Thats interesting as I've never seen it. I'd have to see it in action as it might be "quick" to unhook, I am wondering if it is quick enough for a doubler with horn change time restraints.

·
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just looked it up more, didn't realize its more like a harness. The hook looks good, just wish it was in a strap form. Ya I know, I'm being picky.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I’m a JazzLab Saxholder fan. Puts the weight on my shoulders and is super fast to adjust the length with the plastic ‘zip’ mechanism. Helps my back too.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,491 Posts

And here I thought Dr G had solved your problem for you! I don't see why the J-hook would be any more inclined to slip off than the open hook on the Hyman strap. Of course I haven't tried either of those hooks, since I prefer the closed hook (I just play the tenor so don't need to switch horns on a gig). Is it just the fact that the J-hook has a slightly larger opening? Seems like you'd have to be a bit careful in either case.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,230 Posts
You guys get to sit?! I’m putting in for a raise...

...for me it Just Joes with the metal hook...

·
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't want to get into big debates, but an open hook, or "dog clip" styles don't work for me. I love the Ray Hyman clip (it clips on and dosen't un clip until a light pressure with say, I use my thumb). I guess I'm just seeing whats out there besides these few options

·
Registered
60 Posts
I like the hook on the jazzlab saxholder. It is a steel hook with a plastic cover that includes a built in tab that prevents the hook from falling out of the strap ring under its own weight. It is quick and easy to hook and and unhook and feels secure. The rest of the saxholder is also nice in that it takes the weight off the neck.

View attachment 227018
I second the Jazzlab saxholder, I have never had a problem with it unhooking when I did not want it to.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts