Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions for a neck strap that's a little more comfortable than the one that came with the Student Sax? It has some padding on the back which seems very bulky for the size of my neck. The other thing I don't like about it is that the hook is plastic and also bulky which seems to get caught and put the instrument in an awkward position. :?:
Thanks
Vicki

·
Registered
55 Posts
I used a neotech neckstrap with alto, comfortable but ugly! now I have changed to tenor I use a BG shoulder strap which also works well for me.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I used the "standard" Ray Hyman strap for years; now I have a DeJacques strap, but still prefer the Yamaha strap (also nylon web with plastic hook -- no padding -- like my old R.H.) that came with my new Yamaha 62II. Both of these new ones (Yamaha and DeJacques) are wider and therefore a little more comfortable for me. I haven't used the DeJacques much because I thought the steel jaws would take the lacquer off of the strap ring, or otherwise scratch the ring. I suppose I might switch when the ring gets to be more worn anyway. I have always used a plastic-hook strap with confidence and no problems. I do always push the hook on from the left -- this seems to avoid getting it hung up awkwardly on the strap ring as you suggest. The Ray Hyman Super Sling version is wider than the standard version -- I might be inclined to try that one.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Vicki -

I use a BG Large Sax strap. I bought it from www.wwbw.com. Very comfortable, and the price was right. It has padding, but is not too bulky, and the plastic snap hook doesn't cause any problems.

Frank

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,859 Posts
I have a neotech but Im changing out and trying one of Junkdudes planetwave straps. Neotechs stretch and I find that I have to adjust it. Over the time I play my sax begins to sink...there is elastic in the neck portion. It is comfortable but the lack of true stability effects playing. Neotech straps have earned their place on my "Do not recommend" list as a result. Check out junkdude.com and the straps there. Leather for under 20 bucks. Dave is straight up and excellent to deal with.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Columnist, Forum Con
3,801 Posts
Neotech works for most people. You can get more pricy and fancier ones, but Neotech just works. And few people don't find them infinitely more comfortable than the throwaway neck straps that come with a new horn. Don't even get me started about the mouthpieces that come with a new horn... :lol:

·
12,859 Posts
You can have my Neotech for 10 bucks. Writings a little worn...otherwise good as new. It is comfortable, I just dont like it stretching under the weight of a tenor.

·
Forum Contributor 2009 & Mouthpiece Patch Mogul
4,054 Posts
I like my new Neotech. Only had it about a week (Ebay £16 inc postage). Its comfy and does the job. Only grudge I have against it, first time I went to pull the adjuster up, my fingers slipped off and I hit myself under the chin :oops: :lol:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi, Vicki

I like the PlanetWave leather strap. It is a round cord design which allows more freedom of movement (of course, IMHO :D ). The leather neck pad is extremely soft but supportive (I dislike the thick squishy pad on some). The only thing I've heard, and then actually witnessed on my son's new PW strap, is that the slide adjuster doesn't stay put, but it fixed itself after only one use so I'm thinking this is only a break-in issue most folks are reporting. Also, the hook is a rubber-coated steel corkscrew design which will not break or come off your sax. Even with a really skinny strap attach, the PW hook can be squeezed down with pliers (or teeth! OK, just kidding...don't damage your chops) to snap on/off only when you want it to.

DMW

·
961 Posts
Vicky,

I also prefer the PlanetWave strap... I use it for alto. Altho they are comfortable, I don't like the neotech because it feels spongy. You need the neckstrap to provide very stable support and to carry all of the weight, so that your hands can be free to move about quickly without trying to balance the sax at the same time. It's really a matter of personal preference.

Al

·
Registered
18 Posts
Straps N Stuff

Hey Thanks for all the great information and Frank thanks for the link buddy. I am looking for a new case and a comfortably strap and I think I found the case and now the strap LOL Anyway I have a question maybe its here somwhere but..... How in the world does one use a metronome for a saxophone? I didnt know they could be tuned, or is that just an ear training thing, ny explination would be cool :eek: Thanks

·
14,285 Posts
Jackie: Metronomes help a player keep time. They have nothing to do with pitch. The steady clicking of the metronome will help you play the tune at a steady meter from start to finish. Many newcomers to music have difficulty with that aspect of playing. DAVE

·
Registered
18 Posts
metronone

Thanks Dave, I guess I have a lot to learn :?
I will get it tho, I Love the sax, always have and I am having a blast learning how to play. :eek:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sax Neck Strap.....

Personally, I switched to a BG harness after playing a couple of weeks with a neck strap (Neotech) - gives me a stronger sense of security i.e. sax isn't apt to fly around when you stand up quickly etc, and lessens the strain on my right thumb in keeping sax away from the body. On a non-musical note, I find it also enhances my 'appearance' quite effectively :D

I know some people hate the harnesses, but works great for me!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts