Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've experimented with a lot of different harness and neck strap alternatives right now and am currently using the balam strap.

I've run into a similar problem over and over again using anything that isn't a traditional neck strap (Air Music is my favorite in this category). Whenever I use something other than a traditional neck strap, my hand position changes substantially and becomes rather uncomfortable, I think it's something to do with the angle at which the horn and the strap attach, which then effects the angle at which my hands meet the horn. This is particularly problematic for my thumbs. This isn't a problem for me with traditional straps but those do give me neck issues, so I end up having to choose my poison.

Has anyone else experienced something similar or been able to resolve this?

Many thanks,

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've had similar problems – but my issue has more to do with feeling like the horn (tenor) is in too close to me. No doubt this causes a hand position issue, but I perceive it more as feeling generally that the horn is just too close. This is particularly the case when using 'conventional' harnesses such as a Gemini or NeoTech – to the extent that these are not at all an option for me.

I use a Just Joe's for a conventional strap (when my back permits), and of course there's no problem there.

But I also use a Balam periodically – and while it's better than 'conventional' harnesses, it still feels a little restrictive (horn too close).

I also have a Vandoren Universal – and it's perfect in all respects (except the exorbitant price tag). There is zero weight on neck and back, and there is a full and free range of motion and proximity of horn relative to torso.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts