Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I’ve been using a just joe’s strap with the brass hook for several years and love it. But starting to be concerned the strap ring is thinning out from contact with the brass strap hook. I have vi’s that have been played a bunch prior to me getting them though, so I don’t really know if the wear occurred since I’ve been using the brass hooks. I was thinking of dipping the end of the hook in plastidip but wasn’t sure how well that might work. Anyone else have a similar concern? I really like the strap though, so hoping to keep using it.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To clarify, I am concerned the hook is causing wear on the ring. Not sure I wrote that succinctly in the original post, thx.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,300 Posts
I just bought a Just Joe's neck strap for my grandson as a gift. It came with a non-metal hook, and Joe mentioned that was the case. He did not say WHY, though, and I did not bother to ask about it.

I suppose in theory that extended metal-to-metal contact could cause wear on either the hook or the horn's ring - or both. But I would also guess that it would require EXTENSIVE use over many years. Maybe a rubberized coating on the hook would be okay - and reduce the wear, if that's what it is. DAVE

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
It happens with metal hooks after extended use. If the ring is worn by 1/3 of its diameter or more, I'd recommend you have it replaced. These are readily available and are easily replaced by a skilled technician.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'll confirm that a metal snap-hook can wear through a strap ring. It took about 6 years of daily use for one of my old straps (NOT a Just Joe's) to nearly break through the original brass ring on my Couf Superba II alto sax. Replacing the ring was easy & inexpensive; glad I noticed the issue before catastrophic failure occurred.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have a Just Joe's strap with the metal hook. Mine did start to wear a very slight groove in the strap ring on my tenor (took about a year and a half). I put a piece of heat shrink tubing over the hook and have been fine for the last year or so.

·
Registered
268 Posts
That reminds me that I have to do something about the same issue on my alto, yes.
Can't figure out which corrodes more the other, though... the ring on the sax or the metal hook (Selmer strap).

My tech told me to put a taper of some sort (duct tape for example) to fix the problem.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, my tenor is more worn than my alto, but I’d rather not have to replace either of them. I’ll check out some heat shrink, seems like an easy fix. For now I’ll probably try some plumbers tape or something as a temporary fix.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,483 Posts
you can do all sorts of fixes for this.

The easiest one is to put an eyelet or grommet (there are all manners f color and sizes in leather shops or in haberdashery shops) of the proper size, insert the two parts inside and squeeze it closed with the proper tool The eyelet expands and takes the part that actually is wearing out , you can replace it at will as it wears out.

The image attaching function is still impaired so I can only give you a link, please follow and watch how to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uslIa0Ddtc&frags=pl,wn

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Nice idea Milandro.

Or one can use a neck strap with a plastic hook. But make sure it is of a reputable brand that uses a really reliable plastic.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Nice idea Milandro.

Or one can use a neck strap with a plastic hook. But make sure it is of a reputable brand that uses a really reliable plastic.
I think that "really reliable plastic" is an oxymoron. Make sure the metal neck strap hook is covered with shrink tubing or dip it in that plastic coating stuff used for plier handles, that will help prevent strap ring wear.

I've tried plastic hooks, but once a plastic snap hook bent and released my horn - lucky I was holding on to it at the time, and not just hanging it around my neck as I played flute or something. Never plastic again.

FWIW I bought my alto in 1975, and my tenor in 1978, and have used only metal hook straps and neither show signs of wear. Of course I keep the strap hooks covered with plastic as above.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Man I hate that metal strap hooks do this because they sound better to my ears. I use the dejacques strap which is super thin metal.

Mind you this is only on alto for me. On tenor makes no diference.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,205 Posts
This is an easy fix. Get the plastic snap hook for your Just Joe's strap and that will take care of it.

By the way the plastic hook on Just Joe's straps is bomb-proof. It will not break.

DryMartini, at the risk of opening a can o' worms, you are not seriously suggesting your metal strap hook has anything to do with how your alto sounds, are you? I have to assume you are joking, but if not.......

·
14,300 Posts
I thought about the earlier dust-ups on SOTW about metal hooks and sound but hesitated to get into it - again. Funny!! DAVE

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not getting into sound, but I do think the vibration feels different coming from the horn with a metal hook vs a plastic. Make of that what you will I guess!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,522 Posts
If the metal hook sounds better than the plastic hook, please realize that applying a layer of heat shrink (I do that with my brass hook) will alter the transmission of any vibrations.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,615 Posts
You can use clear plastic tubing, commonly used for aquarium aeration, and available at hardware and pet supply stores. Cut off an inch, drop it in a cup of hot water, and then thread it onto the hook. Lasts at least several months, depending on how much you play. If it starts to wear through, you can scootch a little and get a few more months.

I'm timing the wear on my ring. My calculation is that the ring will wear through and the saxophone drop to the floor on the same day that I keel over and drop to the floor. Problem solved.

Mark

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I find it a little odd there isn’t more concern about the metal wear with all the metal hook straps on the market. Particularly the dejacques strap, with the metal tines on that one I’d imagine the rate of wear would be high as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,522 Posts
I find it a little odd there isn’t more concern about the metal wear with all the metal hook straps on the market. Particularly the dejacques strap, with the metal tines on that one I’d imagine the rate of wear would be high as well.
FWIW, I am concerned about wear of metal on metal. The answer is to employ an interface with a barrier against wear. But if you believe that metal on metal enhances your sound, you need to maintain impedance matching between the two materials else you degrade transmission.

I own three Just Joe’s Gel straps, and prefer the plastic coated metal open hook. I use shrink wrap on the brass hook.

·
2,853 Posts
You can coat the neck strap hook with silicone. Something that doesn't dry hard. There are also other products (can't recall the names) that you can paint on anything that you don't want to have metal to metal contact.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts