Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...my journey has begun, I bought the "Hello Sax" book & I am REALLY enjoying my humble beginnings...(I learned "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star") :mrgreen:
Here is my question....I know that generally speaking the eye hook is a little high on the CMEL, but I am not yet ready to consider moving it or adding another hook. In fact, I bet in time (much like the recent thread discussions) I will adapt and get used to it! But having said that, I currently have a Neotech padded neck strap and its fine for walking around but when adjusted to playing position my jugular cannot take the pressure....I see plenty of the old "bolo tie" type neck straps in the vintage videos & books...are these going to adjust any better or can the collective suggest some type that I can if necessary replace my current neck strap with?
Thanks!
Fester

·
Registered
686 Posts
You could find a neck strap meant for an alto horn so that it is shorter and doesn't have to be cinched up so much. Or adjust yours if possible. I had my wife sew one of mine shorter once.

The old c mels have the eye for the hook set so high! I have now bought 4 replacement eye hooks from Music Medic and paid a local tech $25 to have each installed. I could send you a pic of the placement on my Buescher and Conn c-mels. If you want a pic email me at d underscore vdberg at hotmail.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Always been a problem with the C Melody strap-hook height, often the most comfy straps need to be in the 'semi-choke' position... And, unlike tenor or alto, difficult to slip the strap on/off without having to readjust it.

So moving the ring / adding more is an option. Just found another option, buy a cheap curved soprano, and as a bonus you may well find that the sling that comes with that is perfect for a C-Mel [rolleyes] The obligatory white gloves, that come with Chinese saxes, look good with a C-Mel as well ! :mrgreen: Same sling adjustment as well, I can switch from C-Mel to Bb curvie without strangling myself, sigh... The original vintage 'string slings' that often come with old alto's are also good, if you can trust them.

Perverse isn't it, I have two Martin C's to hand, one early 20's, t'other early 30's - and the strap ring is still in the same awkward place in the 1930's ! It's a bigger ring by the 30's, almost twice the size, but in absolutely the same position. So there must not have been much negative feedback from customers about ring position :(

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Always been a problem with the C Melody strap-hook height, often the most comfy straps need to be in the 'semi-choke' position... And, unlike tenor or alto, difficult to slip the strap on/off without having to readjust it.

So moving the ring / adding more is an option. Just found another option, buy a cheap curved soprano, and as a bonus you may well find that the sling that comes with that is perfect for a C-Mel [rolleyes] The obligatory white gloves, that come with Chinese saxes, look good with a C-Mel as well ! :mrgreen: Same sling adjustment as well, I can switch from C-Mel to Bb curvie without strangling myself, sigh... The original vintage 'string slings' that often come with old alto's are also good, if you can trust them.

Perverse isn't it, I have two Martin C's to hand, one early 20's, t'other early 30's - and the strap ring is still in the same awkward place in the 1930's ! It's a bigger ring by the 30's, almost twice the size, but in absolutely the same position. So there must not have been much negative feedback from customers about ring position :(
I've never been able to find a neck strap short enough for my curved soprano so I put two knots, one on each side just under the collar piece to shorten it.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I use a shoulder strap that came with one of my girlfriend's pieces of luggage. It has a wide curved vinyl part (like a crescent moon) and adjusment straps, plus it has two monster metal clips that barely fit on the ring. It's kinda overkill but surprisingly comfotable.

·
Registered
248 Posts
what I dd was I used a great deal of string and a keychain ring and fixed it in between the original ring and the sturdiest post on the instrument. it works great.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,193 Posts
BG make straps in different lengths. The ones with a neck pad tend to be about an inch shorter than those without.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...I saw an post somewhere of someone who said a curved suprano strap might help...thanks
Fester

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use a shoulder strap that came with one of my girlfriend's pieces of luggage. It has a wide curved vinyl part (like a crescent moon) and adjusment straps, plus it has two monster metal clips that barely fit on the ring. It's kinda overkill but surprisingly comfotable.
Another good idea...there are all sorts of luggage, cameras, computer bags, lanyards for other devices that have neck & shoulder straps that adjust and just might work....I will start searching...thanks!
Fester

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Yes, I bought a handful of alto (or bass ?) clarinet straps in an ebay 'clearance' sale, completely removed the bottom part of the very complicated strap/D-ring arrangement, threaded the hook back onto the top part, and bliss... And remeber, dog leads have (spring-locking) ends of all sizes that can be used as the strap-hook when you find the ultimate strap, or if you're into absolute 'security' - a small Carabiner clip doesn't look out of place :mrgreen:

Fester / Oric Muso / martinm5862 - the 'curvie soprano' starp that works fine for the C-Mel, without mods, is in fact a BG one, sensibly padded neck as well.

Might just have to take some pics of any that work for me...

·
Registered
646 Posts
I use a harness for everything bigger than a soprano so my neck's OK with my Conn C-mel. But I'm finding that the high placement of the strap ring, combined with the tiny thumb rest, is making it tough on my left thumb if I play for more than 45 minutes or so - much more pressure on the thumb than with a modern sax. There was an interesting thread started in the last couple of days about thumb hook placement on vintage horns, suggesting that the thumb hook placement on some vintage saxes was ideal for playing in a seated position and that the thumb hook position was not a mistake but a well thought out setup for the way the sax was intended to be played. Could it be that there is some similar explanation for the high strap ring placement?

·
Registered
686 Posts
See the second post in this thread. I am certain the hook eye placement on vintage horns was meant for a seated position. I've put additional eyes on all my saxes listed below.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
For a long period I used a shoulder strap for tenor; mainly because the weight of the saxophone restricted my blood supply to the extent that my fingers became numb. The only real problem is that you are stuck to the saxophone, it is impossible to push it away from you; it cramps your style.
On C tenors, as dvdberg says, the only real solution is to fit lower strap rings. Currently, a jeweller chum is making me two to match the ring on my Martin...I shall mount them, in series, below the original, with the rings abutting each other...like the King "knuckleduster" system. Surely there must then be one position which will works well.
Someone mentioned pain in the left thumb due to the pressure caused by the thumbrest. This is endemic with the original strap ring position...the pressure is much reduced when the ring is in a comfortable & sensible position.
I do dislike being smacked in the teeth by a metal mouthpiece, but that is par for the course with the ring in its original position.
It seems, for reasons unknown to me, that the strap ring is mounted so high only on C tenors. I have flattie horns from the same period where the ring is mounted at the correct level...to enable humans to play. Perhaps it is something to do with the portrayal in the contemporary adverts of the smug looking C tenor player leaning over the pianist's shoulder...I really would like to know the real reason.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
I use the Cebulla neck strap, size medium, for alto, tenor and C melody. Works perfect, is very comfortable, both the padded neck part as the adjustment device (which is really making the difference for me) so I heartily recommend it. For reference, I'm 1.80m tall, or 5.9 feet.
I used to have a Neotech strap, but the elastic really bothered me - you don't want any give in a neck strap.

Edit: I just realized that you play a curved neck horn - my C is a Conn with a straight neck. While I still think the Cebulla strap could work out fine, I no longer can talk from personal experience in this.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I found a solution....my neck strap is a neotech (padded)...My wife cut the right side of the neck section (where it attached near the padding) to shorten it & re-sowed it (without touching the part that adjusts & connects to the clip), making it lopsided forcing the sax to the right & slightly higher....the adjustment slide now does not need to be cinched up so tight (cutting off my blood flow as it did before), and it gave it a nice angle to the body....she offerred to cut the left side too, but I think that would ruin the shift to the right!.....I can now use my left thumb to push the MP against my upper teeth pretty comfortably.....works for me! (for now :) See attached
FESTER

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
OK...my journey has begun, I bought the "Hello Sax" book & I am REALLY enjoying my humble beginnings...(I learned "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star")

Now that you have sorted the sling issue, can we expect a leap from Twinkle Twinkle little Star to Giant Steps within the next fortnight? :bluewink:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
May only get started with my TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE STAR "improvising" by then :) LOL
FESTER

·
Registered
183 Posts
Actually, the theme from MASH turns out to be really easy on the sax, not much harder than Twinkle Twinkle, and will probably impress your freidns and neighbors more. Baby steps this week, "Giant Steps" next week.

·
Yes, one of the neck strap guys.
135 Posts
I think I found a solution....my neck strap is a neotech (padded)...My wife cut the right side of the neck section (where it attached near the padding) to shorten it & re-sowed it (without touching the part that adjusts & connects to the clip), making it lopsided forcing the sax to the right & slightly higher....the adjustment slide now does not need to be cinched up so tight (cutting off my blood flow as it did before), and it gave it a nice angle to the body....she offerred to cut the left side too, but I think that would ruin the shift to the right!.....I can now use my left thumb to push the MP against my upper teeth pretty comfortably.....works for me! (for now :) See attached
FESTER
Looks like an interesting modification! Please be aware though that modifying the strap does void the warranty. I doubt that you'll have any problems, but it will be a good idea to keep an eye on the stitching as you continue to use the strap.

You might also consider our Junior size straps for a smaller instrument. Their shorter overall length keeps from having to cinch them up so tight. Most of our sax straps are available in junior size.

There are also versions available that have no stretch to them if that is a problem for you.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask either here or you can email me directly at marketing (at) optechusa (dot) com.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How about making a neck strap for a C-Melody Sax....If you monitor this forum that you are aware the placement of the strap rings on these vintage horns is a universal issue for the CMEL users...Perhaps a new revenue stream for your company? :tsk:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts