Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Neck strap that adjusts short without strangling me

I play alto, and find that by the time I get the strap adjusted to bring the sax high enough to go into my mouth at the proper embouchure angle, it puts an unpleasant pressure around my neck, because it's so tight. It doesn't really quite strangle me, but i feel a considerable amount of squeezing in at the sides of my neck, and it looks dorky. I've put up with it for years, but I'm tired of being annoyed with it. I'd like to upgrade my strap to some kind of cord strap. Any ideas on one that will adjust for someone who seems to need it shorter than usual?

Thanks!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Re: Neck strap that adjusts short without strangling me

I'm not very tall, so I have to cinch an alto strap up pretty high as well. I usually use a Brancher Crescent or an Ombaige cord strap.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts

I play alto, and find that by the time I get the strap adjusted to bring the sax high enough to go into my mouth at the proper embouchure angle, it puts an unpleasant pressure around my neck, because it's so tight. It doesn't really quite strangle me, but i feel a considerable amount of squeezing in at the sides of my neck, and it looks dorky. I've put up with it for years, but I'm tired of being annoyed with it. I'd like to upgrade my strap to some kind of cord strap. Any ideas on one that will adjust for someone who seems to need it shorter than usual?
1. The Cebulla neck straps comes in an extra-short "curved soprano" model. I believe it is designed to support a high hook point without pinching the player's neck. http://musicmedic.com/cebulla-saxophone-neck-strap.html

2. You also could try any strap that includes a horizontal space bar by the hook, to prevent pressuring the neck. E.g., the Bird strap. https://www.amazon.com/B-Air-Saxophone-Bird-Strap/dp/B0072DSUZ0/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,576 Posts
Good answers, y'all. I would have said just get a short strap.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
I use straps that go around and fasten with a buckle, rather than the kind with a slider. (Imagine a belt for your pants, buckled - well, that's how it works.) The strap length is always correct, too.

Years and years ago I found a bass clarinet strap of white leather (sorry, don't remember the brand). It had two hooks so I took one off, punched some additional holes for the length I needed, trimmed off the excess, and I use that strap for alto today. For baritone and tenor I use homemade straps of the same general type.

I really really hate the strangulation type of strap.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,284 Posts
Just Joe's will make any length strap you like, which will allow keeping the adjuster near the bottom.
Just what I was going to recommend!
I absolutely love my Just Joe's strap. Never have I felt 'strangled' after adusting to work with my alto.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,195 Posts
the Just Joe is very good, if you find it too tight around the neck you can add a spacer that you can buy or rather easily make yourself.

For those whom suggest a longer strap. This is not a problem (if you suffer by it) that can be solved by a longer cord you need to space it .

the saxholder has no element around your neck at all so it cannot strangle you, so you don’t need a spacer there

This is what a spacer looks like

this is the saxholder, as you can see there is nothing around your neck

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How much does the sax holder press on the abdomen? I have a sensitive gut. I'm interested in the sax holder, but wasn't sure if it would make me sore.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm short, in Alto I use a Rico strap with a metal hook and Tenor one strap Barkley like the Dave Guardala, really comfortable and good size.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,195 Posts
How much does the sax holder press on the abdomen? I have a sensitive gut. I'm interested in the sax holder, but wasn't sure if it would make me sore.
first of all you can adjust it to press exactly where your muscles should be working to create breath support, in fact you can use it to “ feel” if you are working the muscles as you should. The abdomen support is one of three points where the weight will be distributed and if you are playing alto or tenor you shouldn’t really have more pressure than a belt holding trousers would impose upon it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,238 Posts

+3 for Just Joe's. Yes, I have three of them - one for each horn. Although I still have my Hyman neck straps of the last 20+ years in my gig bag, the Just Joe's is the only one I use. Utmost comfort for hours of playing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,869 Posts

In case it helps, I wrote Joe recently to ask the minimum length of his smallest strap. He replied that it's 19", measured according to his method, but that he's made 17.5" custom straps for curved soprano players.

By way of comparison, Claudio at Seawind tells me that the hook of the small Cebulla wide strap is about 8.5” from the base of the players neck. To compare with Joe's, just add the diameter of your own neck.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,163 Posts
The best crd strap for comfort when very short is the Cebulla. The widener at the adjuster sorts out any neck stringing issues. Of course the Saxholder is also great. I have two, one with extra short cord for my Buescher bass. The Cebulla would also be fine for that but I prefer to play the bass with the saxholder.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts