Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know off hand if the neck screw thread size has changed for Buescher?I am looking for one for my 1923 Buescher Tru-Tone C-Melody...there are neck screws on the market but want to be sure of the size...Thanks!
FESTER

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
I assume all from that period are the same thread. Check with Jicaino here at SOTW as he is the expert. If needed, I will pull one off a TT alto and find a substitute for you.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I will get me 1921 Buescher C-Mel back (from the shop) in a few days, and I will put the screw into a thread gauge and let you know.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you both! I am looking for a period one so that will help...I asked also because there are new ones available bot I had no idea if the size was the same? I will wait to hear back!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Does anyone know off hand if the neck screw thread size has changed for Buescher?I am looking for one for my 1923 Buescher Tru-Tone C-Melody...there are neck screws on the market but want to be sure of the size...Thanks!
FESTER
You could always buy a slightly larger diameter replacement & tap the female part to suit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to you both...I am in no rush, so I will search for a period one...but its good to know as a back-up plan
Fester

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Unlike the lyre crew (which I'm still searching for) the Buescher neck screw seems to be the the same size as used on most American-made saxes. I just now, I check the original neck screw on my 1927 True Tone alto again the screw on a mid-1960's Conn alto. The threads are the same size. I figure just about any repair shop with have this screw. Now, if I could only find a lyre screw. :(

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked with a seller who said the neck screw he was selling "had an 8-32 screw pitch" so that is why I was checking... I will keep an eye out for you for vintage lyre screws...thanks!
Fester

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just got my sax back and checked the neck screw. It is very close to a 6-40, but not quite. It got three full turns into the thread-gauge and then stopped. This is unusual. Generally, the wrong screw will get about 1 12 turns in and stop, and the right screw will go cleanly through and never stop until it reaches the screwhead.

It would not fit more than 1 turn into the 6-32 or 6-36 holes, and was clearly too small for any of the #8 holes.

I would try to get a new 6-40 screw and try it. My brass screw is old and it may be slightly deformed. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm? Thanks guys! I think i should keep hunting a period one for now (as there is no rush), but at least I also have a back-up plan...
Fester

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If any one has a neck screw in the parts pile they can part with, please let me know? (1923 Buescher TT C-Melody)
I will have to get one eventually so I might as well try and find one to buy here!
Fester

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Neck screw 1923 Buescher Tru-Tone C-Melody

If any one has a neck screw in the parts pile they can part with, please let me know? (1923 Buescher TT C-Melody)
I will have to get one eventually so I might as well try and find one to buy here!
Fester
Well to date I have bought 2 neck screws and neither one fit :baby: ....As I said in the last post....If anyone has a period neck screw for my 1923 Buescher TT C-Mel, I am willing to pay if you have a spare....Thanks! Fester

·
Registered
183 Posts
Re: Neck screw 1923 Buescher Tru-Tone C-Melody

Well to date I have bought 2 neck screws and neither one fit :baby: ....As I said in the last post....If anyone has a period neck screw for my 1923 Buescher TT C-Mel, I am willing to pay if you have a spare....Thanks! Fester
Sorry I don't have a spare.

I just took mine off my 1921 TT and put it in the thread-gauge, and it's an oddball size. (Unless it's metric. I don't have a metric thread-gauge. But Metric seems unlikely for US manufacturing in 1921.) I think you're on the right track looking for an original instead of trying to substitute.

It is apparently a size 6 screw, almost a 6x40 tpi. It can thread partially into all of the size 6 threads, 32, 36, and 40 tpi, before it gets stuck. It does the worst in the 32 and the best in the 40. I would speculate that it might be about a 42. I think you'll have a tough time at the hardware store with that.

Good luck in the scavenger hunt.

·
4,022 Posts
I was just looking at some of my pictures for the thread on altissimo (and pip position) and realized that in some of the pictures, I have a screw from a ligature on my 1919 True Tone's neck tenon. Maybe you can try various ligature screws until you find one that fits.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Great idea Mal, the screws on some older ligatures were quite 'chunky' - I'll have a root around as well...

·
6,715 Posts
Great idea Mal, the screws on some older ligatures were quite 'chunky' - I'll have a root around as well...
In the past, I too have used lig. screws....beware the ones which "nearly fit". :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, I am completely new to the forum and to owning a saxophone (played in Jr. High but rented the instrument from the school) and I just bought a 1925 Buescher tru-tone c melody on ebay that is missing the neck screw. I don't think this thread really got to a definitive result on how to remedy this problem so if anyone has an answer or a suggestion for what I could do I would GREATLY appreciate it. Really need a replacement screw but i have NO IDEA where to start looking. Thanks for your help!

·
6,715 Posts
Metaphorce, a few posts back, did some research & thought that it may be metric....having no metric thread gauges he was unable to check.
I think that metric is unlikely.
Far more likely is a Small Screw Standard we adopted over here, especially on motor cars & electrical fittings, until metric took over.
It is BA (British Association).....Metaphorce guess around 43 tpi & this pretty well aligned with 5BA, where the thread dia. is 0.126" & the tpi (threads/inch) is 43.
Worth a shot perhaps...these unlikely BA threads always used to catch us out, but were far more prevalent than they deserved to be.
In those days, before the cross over to metric, we had to contend with Whitworth, BSF, AF & BA threads....sometimes all on the same car!
My guess 5 BA.
bedquist....welcome to the forum.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts