Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I am trying to find some possibilities for neck pickup for sax. I am using lot's of effects in live performances and i want to mix them live with natural sax sound using pickup and a overhead mic for reason to be free in movements on stage. So can you give me some kind of advices for making the best choice! If it is possible not making any bores... :)
So, thank's!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
mouthpiece pickup...then you dont put a hole in the neck.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe you have heard about Kullrusk? Very very good guys, good stuff and lots of inspirations of them Jonas Kullhammar plays there.
They use system (used to use) like I described. There is "cleaner" effect sound from the pickup. I am just finding out or rather I'll buy SD systems dynamic mic. Have you tried the AMT? They have a really great mics.
I am just trying to find the best two mic system that should work well with GOOD sound together no matter live or... Any more advices?

Check it out kullrusk.com

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,982 Posts
I have actually tried neck pickups and clip-on microphones. You can see my thread from a few days ago in thie sub-forum showing the photo of the pickup on the bass clarinet neck. IMO people are too fast to rule out the pickup for a bad sound and instead recommend clip-on mics.

I have tried pickups on clarinets only, which are harder to 'pick up' (sound-wise) than saxophones. I've tried clip-on mics on both. I have the AMT special double-mic for clarinet and use it (I've also tried models from other companies). For saxophones, something like an AMT mic would be able to get a pretty high input without feedback and be able to capture the entire range pretty accurately. Great sound IMO. Only for very loud stages (very very loud) it might start to be difficult.

A pickup can handle a loud stage better. It also has the most even response I've heard, especially on instruments that are difficult to amplify evenly like clarinets. Saxophones (except soprano) are easuer because of their shape and because they are louder. Even on soprano, a double mic would probably allow a good signal to use for effects. Only playing with electric instruments with loud amplification etc. it can start to be difficult.

I use dynamic and/or condenser mics on stands. I use the clip-on mics (prefer AMT). I also use neck/barrel pickups. For me, each is best depending on the purpose and situation. However I bought clip-on mics first (and have tried some others too) and only when these weren't good enough for this prupose (I still prefer them for other things) I looked into a pickup.

As far as drilling a hole, I don't especially like it which is why I got spare barrel and neck (not cheap) to do it. Just to have a hole-free barrel/neck when I don't want to use it and some peace of mind of having a "damage" free barrel/neck.
The pickups I know are made for clarient but I think they would work just the same for saxophones. You'd have to make (or have someone make) an extension to attach it as the body wall is too thin to hold it.

Another thing you can try, I know it works but haven't tried it, is a piezo contact mic on the reed. You can even get a 'film' type one and put it under the reed. You might have to play a lot with a preamp, EQ, volume pedal, etc. to make it work (at least was told that by someone who uses it).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,866 Posts
mouthpiece pickup...then you dont put a hole in the neck.....
Yes. I use the King pickup. Simply installed the adaptor on a spare tenor and bass clarinet mouthpiece. So now I can switch horns quickly and still use the same fx chain.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
yeah...lets keep answering the OP's question...shall we!!!

im now very interested in the combination between neck pickup and bell mic

you can see thats what the 80s cats were doing...Mintzer,Randy Brecker etc..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank's every body for answers. Now I have a variety of solutions and possibilities. I tried out a SD Systems dynamic clip on mic, very good and natural sound.
AMT's are the best but the SD wasn't any far to that. I am a jazz musician so I need to play with clear sound too, this effects thing is just for one project, which is very fun, intense, creative and so, that's why I am looking for interesting solution for that.

By the way, have any photos with that mouthpiece pickup installed? And do a clip-on mic should work well with over-head mic for natural sound mixing in?
Thanks;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts