Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Throughout my search for 6m VIII I realised many 6m VIII neck tends to have more lacquer wear than the body. They also tend to have a slight colour mismatch with the body. [maybe its caused by wear or the age of lacquer?]

This makes me wonder if Conn actually have a different lacquering process or different lacquer for the neck and body.

Does your 6m have the same situation?

·
Registered
591 Posts
My Tranny has the same situation. The Neck is almost red, whereas there is little lacquer wear on the body...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,981 Posts
Goodness....I can say with certainty that it's not really a maker-specific phenomenon.

Over half of the old horns I get thru here, if not more, show exactly this. If you think about it, it makes complete sense...the neck gets grabbed and held and adjusted and twisted and all ...much, much more than one would touch the body or keywork in that way.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you think about it, it makes complete sense...the neck gets grabbed and held and adjusted and twisted and all ...much, much more than one would touch the body or keywork in that way.....
Thank you. Learnt something today again!

How about the colour mismatch? Does it happen often?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Sweaty fingers all over the neck, add some spittle, and frequent temperature changes from people filling the horn starting at the thin end of the neck, add a bit of contact cement applied under the cork, ...

And the neck probably is not laquered together with the rest of the horn so it might have a thicker or thinner layer of laquer maybe even not from the same can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts