Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been 'suffering an incredibly annoying problem for almost 3 years now. Everytime I go to play, the muscle (think it's the 'digastric muscle) in my neck spams, causing my jaw to 'stress', which makes embouchure lose its place. The result of loss of tone, volume and pitch. I'm seeing a physio to see if there any any links to the thorasic muscles and other various muscles that are connected.
incidentally, it only comes with the AL3 on sop and alto, but not so much on the bigger facings... there's definitely a link there to resistance.....

in the meantime, has anyone else come across this? would really love to hear from others on this one.
cheers

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,228 Posts
Have you tried a mouthpiece with a smaller profile? The size of the mouthpiece plus the resistance may be crossing a threshold for you creating this problem. How long have you been playing? How old are you? Are you using a really strong reed? Have you ever had your bite checked by a dentist? If it is off you may be playing with the top and bottom front teeth not aligned creating pain and pressure in the jaw joints and this could being off loading to the muscles. You may just be biting down as a bad habit as well.

I have had problems with TMJ and jaw alignment resulting in facial muscles being crimped, and biting down as well to compensate.

Another thing you may want to look at is seeing an osteopath, for my jaw and sax playing they do what a physio can't do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts