Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

Finally, I became the owner of grassi saxes collection, I have alto and soprano Jade rollers, tenor is Wonderful model, and I recently bought Jade Rollers Baritone :cool:

And this Baritone come as Bb, and without NECK...
As I know, the Jade Rollers model is GRASSI variant of Selmer 6 France... Will the selmer neck maybe from Selmer SA 80 fit to this baritone or not???
i want to by the neck for this sax, and I found out great silver plated neck of selmer SA 80 for 240$ on Kessler store. Will this neck fit to my horn?

If not, what are your variants of possible compatible necks???

Thanks every body for advanced answers :bluewink:

P.S.I have not already received this bary, so, I cann't meassure any soccet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,782 Posts
Many Grassi saxophones might SEEM to look like Selmer but are VERY different for construction. Nowhere the difference is more apparent than on a baritone.
Selmers are short neck baritone where both octave keys are on the body of the saxophone and the neck is short and stumpy.

The Grassi Baritone belongs to the long baritone neck group and has a top octave key on the neck which is also much longer than the neck on a Selmer saxophone.

IF you can adapt any baritone neck than you have to look for a Bundy neck or maybe a Dolnet neck.

Please note that any adaptation will present the problem of an incorrect position of the octave pip!!!! This will give yu intonation problems!

If Karsten Gloger has ever done measurements of the Grassi neck he could make a copy, this would be the best solution!!

Here a hi-res pic of the Grassi and its neck, click several times to expand to full size

This is a selmer neck

while this is closer to what you need

this is a Dolnet neck

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you milandro very much, I knew that you will respond in this thread but I did not expected that it will so quickly :)

You have posted very important information, and.. I have a big problem)) I wanted to buy Selmer France neck because of quality, but.. As I see, I will not get proffesional neck for my 300$, which I planned to spend for neck... I do not want to spent more, because i paid for bary 450$ :)
Maybe I'll wait for compatible neck on eBay and SOTW marketplaces...
Gloger will take much more money, it is clear true, so, I'll wait.

There a lot of work on tunning of this baritone, so I have time))

Thank you once more milandro

·
38,782 Posts
Hello Aster :) well, I am partial to Grassi and I have owned ( and still own one baritone !) a few of them.

I would advise to wait a little and then buy (if Gloger has made measurements!) a Gloger neck. The thing is that having an exact copy is the only sure way for your saxophone to work well. I have had another Grassi baritone before and it had an original but modified neck (it was made longer.......never understood why) , even the modification of the length (and perhaps taper) of the neck made some notes less responsive.

There is another way and that is to get in touch with Claudio Zolla at Rampone & Cazzani.

The Rampone & Cazzani Baritone had definitely some similarities with the Grassi Baritone and the neck might be made to fit the Grassi

See this picture by saxforte, the American importer of Rampone & Cazzani

http://saxforte.com/saxophones/Eb_Baritone/Eb_Bari_Rampone_/R1_Jazz_Bari_Gold/2009AU9a.jpg

Claudio could sell you a R&C neck (best the one from the R1 (not the R1 Jazz) because it would be cheaper and for your purposes better. Try that!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hi Milandro. Your neck may have been added too so a high baffled piece would play in tune? I had a Grassi Profesional which I had an extension added to a Runyon mouthpiece so the mouthpiece didn't have to hang of the end.

·
38,782 Posts
I don't know, I sold that baritone long ago and I was doubtful at the time if it had been extended or not, only after I sold it I was sure it had been extended (the job was really well done my tech said) because I could compare with an unaltered neck.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Claudio could sell you a R&C neck (best the one from the R1 (not the R1 Jazz) because it would be cheaper and for your purposes better. Try that!
GREAT IDEA!!! Thank you man. I have recently reviewed that internet store and had not found the information about any necks... should I contact Claudio personally?

·
38,782 Posts
yes, definitely !

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
three days ago I wrote to [email protected] about searching of neck and interesting of buying Rampone neck, but there no contact since...

Means i wrote the letter to the Saxforte store, not personaly to Claudio...

Milandro, do you know how to contact this Claudio personaly? or maybe other suggestions?..

·
38,782 Posts
Claudio Zolla is the son of the owner of Rampone & Cazzani and works in Italy . Saxforte is among other brands an American Rampone dealer, it would be a lot easier for you to write to Claudio directly at:
[email protected]

·
38,782 Posts
An Email would suffice! :)

·
38,782 Posts
I am sorry to say that this is what happens every time you buy a neckless horn ( been there done that myself.........) which is not a clone of something reproduced very many times or a easy horn to find. You don't really have too many choices. You can try to find someone who has a Grassi neck without a horn. It is unlikely but possible. You can be lucky or wait for years there is no telling- You could try the slippery slope of adapting the neck of a Bundy to a Grassi but there are lots of unpredictable factors and the result might not be pleasing you.
You might end up spending the same amount of money. I think that I would go for the Gloger replacement (did you ask specifically Karsten to replace Grassi baritone neck? Does he have the exact measures?) because it will be a perfect replacement if he has the measures and it will add to your horn even if ot is not the original neck. Bite the bullet.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know that man, already know, but when I was buying I expected of 200$ for neck at all and I didn't know about differences in necks... yea :)
but happend that happend, and I intend to make this horn burn the dancefloor at all. Full repair, full pads replacement and keys regulation. And of course Gloger neck I think. And unlaquering... yea :)
I want to bring this horn to perfiction, because I have GRASSI tenor, and I know what these horn can do))) especially for these money... means 1 kilobacks)))

·
38,782 Posts
unfortunately there are no shortcuts. Everything can happen and you could find a neck. I am sure that somewhere (probably at the Grassi factory which is still standing there in Quarna sotto, not far from Rampone) there are still, among other things, some necks inside the premises but the new owners (Proel group ) of the brand Grassi don't see to do anything with that, maybe they want to build a condo in this beautiful village on the mountains above the Orta lake.

But in realistic terms I am sure that the options are what we have discussed. Good luck with it. Again, if it was my money and I was sure that Karsten Gloger had the exact measures of an original Grassi neck, I would have him making it. Even a Rampone neck (the next best thing really) would be an approximation compared to a Gloger (if he has ever measured the original neck, otherwise he would be guessing the position of the octave pip!!!)

he doesn't list it among the brands that he has measured!!

Buescher Aristocrat
Buescher 400
Buescher
Canonnball
Conn 12M
Conn - New Wonder
Conn Chu Berry (early)
Keilwerth SX 90
King Zephyr
King Super 20
Martin Handcraft
The Martin Bariton
Selmer Model 26
Selmer MVI earlier model
Selmer MVI later model
Selmer SBA long model
Selmer SA 80 II
Yanagisawa
Yanagisawa 901
Yanagisawa Bronze
Weltklang

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
he doesn't list it among the brands that he has measured!!
I saw that :)
I'll contact Mr. Karsten and Mr. Zolla personally...
Trully saying I do not expact to find or to order original grassi neck, in my opinion in is a little bit impossible... But, will see :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have recently checked R1 neck photos

from sax forte... and I do not see a bid difference between bundy and rampone necks...
In my opinion - octave pipe on GRASSI neck is in between Dolnet and Bundy neck...
Compare that by yourself :)

·
38,782 Posts
it is really difficult to make a visual assessment of the position of the pip, total length , taper and volume of any neck, the Dolnet is definitely shorter but you really need all these criteria to be as close to the original to have any chance of hitting the right target, anything else risks of not being up to the necessary specifications.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts