Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
The tool in the link is new to me. I am not sure how it is supposed to work, but it doesn't appear to be expandable. Since all sax neck tenons are not the same, I think that the "rounding" effect would only work on tenons that exact size. I may be wrong.

As far as tenon expanders go, the two most common are the "can opener" style, and the "petal style". I use both depending upon the task at hand. Of the two I think the "petal style" does a better job of "rounding" the tenon. Ferree's also makes a "tenon shrinker" for when you go too far (not that I have ever done that :) The one they call the tenon "swager" probably does the best job of "rounding" of the three.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,048 Posts
The tool in the link is new to me. I am not sure how it is supposed to work, but it doesn't appear to be expandable.
I agree. It looks like it had a taper to it, and is best intended to round parts that have been deformed to an oval. It does not address expanding a tenon or receiver to create a cylinder of uniform diameter.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,515 Posts
The tool in the link is new to me. I am not sure how it is supposed to work, but it doesn't appear to be expandable. Since all sax neck tenons are not the same, I think that the "rounding" effect would only work on tenons that exact size. I may be wrong.
I agree. It looks like it had a taper to it, and is best intended to round parts that have been deformed to an oval. It does not address expanding a tenon or receiver to create a cylinder of uniform diameter.
I think you both are right. It only costs $46, so it probably only does a few simple things...I think this is solely for re-shaping out-of round tenons or, as the description reads, 'slide tubes'.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I use ferrees neck expand/shrink tools. Their can opener style expander and their shrinking die with collets. Works great. A few extra collets to the shrinking tool wouln't hurt though. I use the leak testers from MM. You can do a suction test with your mouth.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,691 Posts
For the tenon, I have a boehm collet swedging set and a typical ferees can opener styled roller, only issues i have ever come across was reshaping heavy walled tenons, these tools are great but cannot do the thicker stuff. So in those instances i use a standard swage and jenny

Steve

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
For expanding I almost always use Ferrees "can opener" type.
For shrinking I prefer my own setup, for which I have made a variety of "collets".
I prefer it because it exerts force on the collet from three directions rather than two. That means the collet tends to stay more circular rather than oval in cross-section.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/photorua/4389317792/in/dateposted-public/

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
For expanding I almost always use Ferrees "can opener" type.
For shrinking I prefer my own setup, for which I have made a variety of "collets".
I prefer it because it exerts force on the collet from three directions rather than two. That means the collet tends to stay more circular rather than oval in cross-section.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/photorua/4389317792/in/dateposted-public/
(This was just a prototype, usings stuff I had lying around. When I get around to improving it it will not so easily fall from the vice.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts