Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 55' Indiana alto had a non-original and damaged/repaired neck that turned out to be a dud. I found an older neck from another Indiana that played A LOT better. It is from an earlier 40's Indiana, the first digit of the serial was 3 (not 5 like on mine.) I looked at the original body it came with, and I thought the body looked almost identical in construction and looks (compared to mine.) But the earlier body was in slightly better condition. I also checked out some later Indianas and their necks (60's?) but the metal quality didn't seem so good, the neck I tried was made of a heavier metal that did not seem so desirable. This earlier neck also has a better build, the octave key uses a thick square-shaped metal band not a thin round one. But, there was something else different about this earlier neck compared to the others - it seemed a little more open and free-blowing.

My Indiana is being adjusted to work better with the new neck. I can't wait to get it back and try it. This is an instrument I was having serious intonation problems with. I had a C#3 intonation mod put on this horn, designed to fix the sharp C#3, which I thought was endemic to this design. It actually helped fix the problem although it also slowed down the action and made the palm notes a bit less free-blowing. But when I put on the new neck, I took off the mod and it played in tune! But I only tested it for a minute, I will know more when I get it back.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts