Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone can help me out with a question: I bought a LA sax alto (Taiwan - SN 9004xx). It has a half-oval shaped area cut out (or maybe it was never there) of the bottom of the neck tenon. In other words, the part of the neck that would be closest to the bell of the horn is gone. This is concealed when the neck is "plugged in" to the horn body.

Was this a feature of the horn, and if so why? Was this done by a tech, and if so why? (My only guess is that it broke and then was "cleaned up." It's definitely not just a piece that broke off - it's too clean and symmetrical to be that.)

Also, can anyone tell me the model name of this horn, and where it ranked in the lineup of the time? It has no model name marked on it. Thanks a lot for any input.

Joe

·
Registered
618 Posts
where does the cutout area lie when the neck is connected? Is there any tonehole in the immediate area (odd, but maybe for clearance)? Is there something in the body tube that you can see that would interfere with the bottoming of the neck, which would necessitate such a modification?

I've never seen such a thing, so I'm all confused....

·
Registered
132 Posts
It vents the high F# tone hole. The sax was made by KHS. They used the same body tube as the model without the F# key, creating the need for a neck modification. A lower priced KHS student horn, also sold under the Vito name, Kielwerth, and Jupiter.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kemtone, you are correct. It seems so obvious now! (And the one I have DOES have a high f#, so I should have noticed.) When the neck is aligned a certain (normal) way, the cutout lines up with the high F# hole. I suppose that if a person liked to **** the neck over to one side or other, that note would be all messed up. (I can't test this theory until I repad and get it back together.)

I learned something today. THANKS!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts