Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should i use to reglue my neck cork back on?
I will take it to a tach to be recork it soon but i need the horn this week.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,372 Posts
If it's not all the way off just wrap it with some teflon tape.
Otherwise regular contact cement will work.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,637 Posts
I'm not sure about things on that side of the pond, but contact cement isn't what it used to be.

Evostick was once a great and noble glue, but thanks to government regulation it is now a mere shadow of its former self. My tech, Stephen Howard, is luck enough to have a hoard of vintage evostick.

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
Re-gluing cork grease soaked cork or old crumbly cork is not going to work very well. Wrapping with teflon tape until a proper neck cork installation can be done is probably going to work the best.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
I'm not sure about things on that side of the pond, but contact cement isn't what it used to be.

Evostick was once a great and noble glue, but thanks to government regulation it is now a mere shadow of its former self. My tech, Stephen Howard, is luck enough to have a hoard of vintage evostick.
I bought some Thixofix thinking it was meant to be really thick (and ideal for felt) but it's exactly the same viscosity and formula as the new formula Evil-Stink, so mega disappointed there!

I still have some old formula Evo-Stik I use for certain applications. I love the smell of toluene in the morning ...

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
I bought some Thixofix thinking it was meant to be really thick (and ideal for felt) but it's exactly the same viscosity and formula as the new formula Evil-Stink, so mega disappointed there!

I still have some old formula Evo-Stik I use for certain applications. I love the smell of toluene in the morning ...
It used to be. Thixofix was brilliant stuff - for those unfamiliar with it, it was a gel-like contact adhesive. I believe the brand name was sold some time ago, and what with the demise of toluene it's a pale shadow of its former self.

Regards,

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Ados "F3" is a thixotropic contact glue, readily available wheere I am. It spreads like margarine and does not flow. Great for sealing the surface of felt prior to use, because it does not soak into the fibres.

BTW, I just bought some "Bostik Super Contact Bond" from a local hardware store. (Bostik makes Evostik) Written on the tube: "Contains Toluene 30-40%... Manufactured by Bostik New Zealand Ltd....) It smells right - :) - but seems to be a diluted form of the old, good Evostik that had toluene. I have to apply it thicker than I used to for old-recipe Evostik.

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
5,031 Posts

I really liked the old Evostik but also didn't like the new formula so much. So I checked many brands and changed to a different glue that is available now and although doesn't seem to have toluene, I like it as much as the old Evostik. They also make a gel contact glue that is really gel (with occasional more liquidy squirt, but mostly it's really a gel), unlike the type Chris described.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Do you have any surplus supply (of these originals) that you are willing to re-sell perhaps? (of either Thixofix of Evostik)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts