Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a saxophone newbie that has become fascinated with Couesnon horns. I picked up a Monopole II alto in really excellent condition last year and have been taking lessons for a few months. I had a saved search on eBay for a tenor to match my alto and earlier this week I found the one I wanted.

Here's a link to the sale: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Couesnon-Monopole-Conservatoire-Professional-Tenor-Saxophone-/362643729053?hash=item546f402a9d%3Ag%3APVQAAOSwOCdc0sxw&nma=true&si=RQBgCjhf9C8wuuiTtUwfSsYwa80%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The sax looks to be in pretty good condition and the tech that I worked with getting my other Monopole tuned up thought so, too. The think I'm most concerned about is that there are no accessories and I'd really like to have a neck cap (it's not really a plug on a Couesnon). Any ideas on where I could find something to protect the receiver (I think that's the correct term) and octave mechanism?

Thanks for any ideas you can offer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,431 Posts
I see, it has the neck tenon that fits over the sax tenon. you're right, you need to protect the sax tenon with a sax cap, not a neck cap. Wow - so to fit the neck, they work on the sax body tenon. Anyway, you would want a brass one, and it could easily be machined out of thick-wall brass tubing. If Saxydude would be so kind as to post a picture of his cap with an overall length, you could take that information and your sax to a machine shop where they would take a measurement of the sax tenon outside diameter, they could whip one up in a few minutes. Otherwise, good luck on finding one.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Well, for my Conn 6M I bought an appropriately sized piece of copper tubing at the hardware store and cut it to length. I would recommend that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,431 Posts
There ya go! You could even use a piece of plastic pipe.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
There ya go! You could even use a piece of plastic pipe.
Actually the plastic pipe might be a better choice than copper. It won't scratch anything. Just take the horn to the hardware and try different pipe sizes and fittings till you find something that will do well enough.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!

The pipe is a good idea. I'll see if I can find some tubing that will go over the sax body and still fit under under the octave mechanism.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I recently had a similar issue with a Hohner President alto - I machined up a plug from Acetal (aka delrin). In did note however that the little President fitted so snugly into its case that the octave mechanism really wan't in harms way unless you carelessly placed the sax into the case. I was employing a cut-down Champagne cork prior to maching up the little end plug.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts