Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody else turn their neck about a half inch left of the octave lever on alto and tenor? This necessarily puts the bell a little out to the left. Happens for me at all times on alto, and while standing on tenor. Sitting on tenor and the neck lines up centered with the octave lever; however I'm tall enough that I can play tenor in the middle while sitting, just looks a little funny! :cool:

The major reason I started doing this (have I always done it? Probably...) is hand position. My hands and wrists are a lot more comfortable with this configuration, and I have had to temporarily bend the neck octave keys while trying out horns.... anyone else??

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Exactly the same for me although it does vary for different makes. I always stand to play if possible. If i don't offset the bell my hands aren't balanced. I'm actually a little nervous now that someone's going to post and say my technique's all wrong.:(

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Yes, I always try to the let my tenor hang free from the neck strap while I play. This seems to let it fully resonate. The neck ring strap on the back of my 400 is pretty high up and the horn usually hangs in a fairly upright position. So how ever the horn hangs while either standing or setting, I adjust the neck accordingly.

The underslung neck has a little curved bar that's about 1.75 inches long that hangs down to connect with the octave mechanism. As the neck rotates, this curved bar stays at about the same distance from the octave mechanism pin. So rotating the neck in the normal range does not change the adjustment at all. This is just another example of how Gus Buescher got it right.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts