Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this in the mail today. I've been in the market for an inexpensive Low-A to pair with my Selmer Mark VI Low-Bb Bari. I got this one for under $2k. It is a Jupiter JBS-593 from what looks like to be about 1993. Similar to the bari I played in college, though that one wasn't black lacquer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,432 Posts
'NBD' :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Looks good - how does it play?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
'NBD' :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Looks good - how does it play?
It plays good. Though I had to do some adjusting. Everything south of C was unplayable, had to replace a felt and do some adjustments and it is working good now. Not sure if I'm a fan of how some of the keywork is laid out, not sure if I'm just not used to it or what. It isn't bad enough where it is a deal breaker, just not as comfortable as I would like.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,432 Posts
Most of the Chinese horns back in '93 were Yanagisawa copies but they were doing some weird things on the baritones. I think I know what is strange on that one because I bought a Kessler in around 2003 for the bari player in our band. He's still playing it but the right hand was hard to deal with. The only thing 'wrong' with it was the adjustable thumb hook eventually popped off because the threaded stud was only soldered into a hole in the mounting plate and simply pulled out. There's no 'fix' so we just Super-Glued it into his usual position.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most of the Chinese horns back in '93 were Yanagisawa copies but they were doing some weird things on the baritones. I think I know what is strange on that one because I bought a Kessler in around 2003 for the bari player in our band. He's still playing it but the right hand was hard to deal with. The only thing 'wrong' with it was the adjustable thumb hook eventually popped off because the threaded stud was only soldered into a hole in the mounting plate and simply pulled out. There's no 'fix' so we just Super-Glued it into his usual position.
This one is made in Taiwan. Anyway, the issue was just some felts came off so the keys weren't closing correctly. I try and keep some Music Medic felt bumpers and disks around just in case, so I just replaced them and things work fine now. There's only a couple of issues I have with the horn, and it is more with design than anything. The G key is pretty high and the Bis key is pretty far from the B key. The G key just takes getting used to, the Bis key is a bit annoying though. I really need to get some more play time on this horn, but admittedly I am usually playing my Mark VI.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about extending the bis touch with a bit of sugru or epoxy?
I've thought about maybe doing that or maybe thermoplastic pellets.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Dang, that looks nice! Reasonable price by the sounds of it too. Reading your thread I find it interesting to hear about your comfort level, and the bis key being a bit far away. On my Jupiter it has a nice feel to it, and very comfortable from top to bottom including the pinky table. This one also has some felt material in the saddles that the key rods rest in also.

So I got to looking at your picture and the keywork, and comparing side by side. It looks like Jupiter maybe corrected this stuff? You can see the bis key on this one is a lot closer to B, and the G key looks a bit further down too. (I will be honest, we were taught in school to use both index fingers for Bb....its hard for me to use the bis key). Pictures only do so much though.

I tried finding my best picture I have to post up here so you can see. (I enjoy playing this one which is my main horn, but I do love the sound of my low Bb (Orsi) bari too :) )

Not sure how to make the picture large like yours?...so attaching another one of just those top keys...

View attachment 196602

View attachment 196610

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dang, that looks nice! Reasonable price by the sounds of it too. Reading your thread I find it interesting to hear about your comfort level, and the bis key being a bit far away. On my Jupiter it has a nice feel to it, and very comfortable from top to bottom including the pinky table. This one also has some felt material in the saddles that the key rods rest in also.

So I got to looking at your picture and the keywork, and comparing side by side. It looks like Jupiter maybe corrected this stuff? You can see the bis key on this one is a lot closer to B, and the G key looks a bit further down too. (I will be honest, we were taught in school to use both index fingers for Bb....its hard for me to use the bis key). Pictures only do so much though.

I tried finding my best picture I have to post up here so you can see. (I enjoy playing this one which is my main horn, but I do love the sound of my low Bb (Orsi) bari too :) )

View attachment 196602
Yeah, it was $1700 including shipping and a Vandoren mouthpiece I will probably never use. So I think I got a great deal on it. This is a 90s horn I believe. It was when they still stamped KHS Musical Instruments on the bell. I played a Jupiter Artist bari in college in the early 2000s, and I don't remember having the same Bis issue, so I believe it probably was redesigned and corrected. The G isn't too big a deal it plays fine, just feels a little weird.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts