Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I definitely do not wish to be disrespectful of anyone's country! As I was watching the hockey finals for the Stanley Cup, the thought occurred to me that it would be neat to hear some well known horn player perform the anthem. Everyone knows the words of their anthem. It could be very cool to hear an amazing rendition by a horn player who could just make a few minor embellishments, bends, scoops, et al. In good taste, of course.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,144 Posts
I have to say, that's one of the LEAST offensive saxophone versions of the National Anthem I've ever heard. :)

My opinions about this are rather old fashioned perhaps...and perhaps also influenced by the fact that I performed the National Anthem in public literally thousands of times as a member of military bands...but nothing disgusts me more than hearing either a vocalist or an instrumentalist use the National Anthem as a platform to show off by trying to throw in every hip jazz lick or vocal embellishment they ever learned. I don't care who it is or how much skill is behind it...you can only embellish the National Anthem "just so much" before it becomes entirely disrespectful. Unfortunately, that line is crossed way too often in my opinion.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I heard a lot military bands play the anthem while I served too. But my instruments at the time were much louder and graver than the ones I play now.

To me, the US anthem was made to by embellished. And even though I'm not a big jazz guy, I believe that this uniquely American music style fits it perfectly. There nothing offensive to me about that. It's fitting for a nation that aspires to be free to play it's anthem in a free style.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
While we're on the subject of good versions of national anthems (yes, other countries have them too) here's my favourite.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
I agree with Enviro. An anthem is a song that can therefore be arranged....
In France a famous singer/composer wrote a reggae version of La Marseillaise in the early 80s (there's a new movie about him, Serge Gainsbourg, great composer/lyricist who used more than M/m triads in his songs, decent jazz pianist as well) and there was an uproar then by conservatists (and by some people in the military).
Well, he had a point: the French anthem to this day is a revolutionary march that exultates fighting and it is high time IMO that at least the lyrics be changed to a peaceful content. As for the music... a good deal of reharmonization and embellishments (not necessarily the Christina Aguilera type) would do it a lot of good, I think.

·
Registered
154 Posts
In particular, as a Blackhawks fan, I can't imagine Jim Cornelison being replaced by an instrumentalist. I don't think it would go over very well. The singer becomes part of a tradition through the regular season and especially the playoffs. Fans wouldn't be happy.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, jzer21, I do agree that some traditions should not be broken, (re. Jim Cornelison). However, after listening to some vocalists, (seems to me they're usually of the female gender), who absolutely destroy the nobility of an anthem with their wailing attempts at...I dunno, maybe trying to sound like some popular soul artist, and doing it badly...I had the instrumentalist idea. Maybe just occasionally?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,819 Posts
I too am a great admirer of the "Marseillaise" in its " original version" as in the immortal film Casablanca (se how they sing off the Germans, this must be one of the most intense moment in film history

as in a Gipsy Jazz version

vive la France, vive la Liberté !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts