Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I could spot this chicken a mile away, I don’t necessarily believe the fine folks at Reverb.com can. This puts inexperienced buyers at risk, given the very realistic price. Seeing as I have no interest in being a Reverb member, I was hoping someone could be good enough point this out to them.

https://reverb.com/item/18279971-he...x1hYQXbEAQYCyABEgLDofD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

Sellers name implies a broad knowledge of fine French instruments, surely this didn’t evade his watchful eye?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I'm interested in how you know it's a fake other than the fact that it looks like it just came out of the box? It seems the seller knows some of the lingo surrounding saxes but uses it a bit clumsily. That's always a red flag for me. But then not everyone is a native English speaker. Anyway, what do you see that tells you fake?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
I'd be interested in knowing as well.

Of course, fact that seller only has provided 2 pics...and is a Reverb member as of Jan. 2019.....does not exactly instill confidence. And although the lingo may seem sorta OK....it isn't the sort of description one usually prepares for a sax ad.....

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm interested in how you know it's a fake other than the fact that it looks like it just came out of the box? It seems the seller knows some of the lingo surrounding saxes but uses it a bit clumsily. That's always a red flag for me. But then not everyone is a native English speaker. Anyway, what do you see that tells you fake?
The neck is wrong. the lettering/logo on the bell are also weird, too clean somehow.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,452 Posts
I don't know of any site with a marketplace that employs experts to verify listings. Its really impossible considering the wide range of possibilities. So basically if you don't trust it, don't bid. As far as ratting the seller out, don't you think the site has to be very careful since disgruntled buyers could make up stories against anybody on there? In other words, why should they trust you or me? You obviously have not given this any thought although I'm sure your motivation is honorable - its just a hopeless endeavor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
The neck is wrong. the lettering/logo on the bell are also weird, too clean somehow.
The lettering looks like some cheap laser etching.
Yeah I noticed that but wasn't sure if it was just becuz the horn was in pristine shape. It's not a BAD forgery, if so. I had to cross-reference several images of real II's to really see that. The fonts, letter sizes, and composition/location are all pretty well done FWIW....
The neck is wrong.
Can you be more specific ?

I don't know of any site with a marketplace that employs experts to verify listings. Its really impossible considering the wide range of possibilities. So basically if you don't trust it, don't bid. As far as ratting the seller out, don't you think the site has to be very careful since disgruntled buyers could make up stories against anybody on there? In other words, why should they trust you or me? You obviously have not given this any thought although I'm sure your motivation is honorable - its just a hopeless endeavor.
I I dunno, I mean there's tons of forgery which goes on in the electric instrument and drum world, which is what makes up the lion's share of Reverb. I'd imagine they deal with this from time to time...

I would say if one can come up with 3 or 4 telltale signs that this isn't a real Selmer, there'd be no harm in contacting Reverb. IMHO it's a better path to take than contacting the seller, IMHO.....

·
Registered
480 Posts
I mean, I've never owned one of these, but I've seen plenty of them and played one or two, and this one don't look right. If anyone is in a position to alert Reverb then I think it ought to be done (I looked on the site and can't find an easy way to do it without having an account).

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
The logo on the bell is pretty clearly a forgery, if you've seen a lot of real ones.

Series II horns have black plastic thumb hooks, not metal ones.

What kind of case is that? A case is not dispositive, but purportedly near-new Selmers usually come in Selmer cases.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,452 Posts
Actually I like the case, mainly the plush color but I sure wouldn't buy that horn to get it! Now if you could get the horn for its real value of about $300, it possibly could be made to play with some tweaking. Whatever, I'd say advertising it as a Selmer and at the price of a Selmer is fraud.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FYI - listing is gone. No more fake Selmers on Reverb, we can all sleep better now.

Websites like eBay and Reverb strictly prohibit the sale of counterfeit items. Just as I would need the opinions of my customers to identify a fake Gibson if I worked for a music retailer, these operations require feedback to help deter counterfeiters and then generally will launch an investigation and contact the sellers for info on the product being sold. It’s much more complicated than simply removing the item no questions asked.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts