Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Wade, you always have that sultry, seductive style
as if you're making love to that horn..................
Your style fits perfectly circa 1920's burlesque showing.

I'm a very nostalgic individual and I enjoyed this. Maybe not your intention
in how or why you play the way you do but the listener has importance
in how they access another musician's wares however that may be.

I enjoy what you do...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
That is cool! I need to find me a guitarist like that. Simple, but effective :) .

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,616 Posts
very , very nice piece! I would suggest to play this with a talented tap dancer. It made me think a lot of the film " Cotton Club" which I liked immensely. Well done both of you!

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is cool! I need to find me a guitarist like that. Simple, but effective :) .
Yes the guitarist is somewhat inventive and quirky, but he also drives me mad. The simple is that he allows himself to wander and has exposed himself to many types of music. Unfortunately he can't play what he may hear for chord changes, so gets stuck in whatever his original vamp was. If he ever becomes one with his instrument he would be awesome.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice and evocative. Not quite sure of what exactly yet. Sounds like you've changed your approach to vibrato as well...
Hi Pete. I don't know if it's good or bad, but seems like whenever I pick up the horn I play differently. Maybe just responding to what's happening? Maybe a matter of how secure I am with my tone that day? I don't really know, but it's certainly variable. You can hear within this piece long tones, fast vibrato and fairly radical changes of timbre. I feel like a chameleon. Where's the real me?

In your experience would it be an asset for me to tie my tone down better? I really don't know and just play intuitively.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wade, you always have that sultry, seductive style
as if you're making love to that horn..................
Your style fits perfectly circa 1920's burlesque showing.

I'm a very nostalgic individual and I enjoyed this. Maybe not your intention
in how or why you play the way you do but the listener has importance
in how they access another musician's wares however that may be.

I enjoy what you do...
Thanks Mike. Interesting that you pick up the 1920's. I had a lot of exposure to this music as my father was a muso from that period. Hard to get away from years of hearing that stuff as an influence. It's far enough in the past that most wouldn't even relate to it unless very knowledgeable (like yourself).

Milandro also picked this up with the tap dancing and Cotton club references. Thanks to you both for responding. Glad that you found it interesting and could give it personal reference. As you may know, for me it's about trying to touch others with the music.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm digging it. Sounds like you guys are having a nice conversation, sitting around on a lazy day.

K

44 yrs of happy sax

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow. I really like that. For me I see the 20's and 30's reference but the placement of the scene it creates for me is a modern one portraying the past. I could build a whole early century detective story around this song. Lot's of fun to listen to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts