Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I tried recording myself and find that in the recording my tone appears to be bit nasal. I have tried different mouthpieces and reed combination but sound the same more or less in any combination, so I believe it is something to do with me rather than the equipment. Any ideas to rectify this? Btw I play alto sax.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Can we hear a recording maybe you are not taking enough of the MP in or you are rolling your lip in too much so lots of things here.

Doug

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,578 Posts
Could also be the recording equipment, etc. Try playing into a wall, does it sound the same as in the recording?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I play into a wall then the sound will be different, I guess it is more like how we hear our own voice while speaking. It will sound different to the listener hence thought recording is a better option...

·
Registered
534 Posts
Doesn't sound too nasal for me. And to be honest, it your tone is similar to my tone when I record myself. I guess the "nasal" tone is not as noticeable in the low notes but anything over D2 starts to get a little nasal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,578 Posts
Doesn't sound too nasal for me. And to be honest, it your tone is similar to my tone when I record myself. I guess the "nasal" tone is not as noticeable in the low notes but anything over D2 starts to get a little nasal.
Can't listen to stuff where I am now, but based on this comment I'm going to diagnose a biting problem (thin, nasal tone on upper register). Possible?

·
Registered
534 Posts
based on this comment I'm going to diagnose a biting problem (thin, nasal tone on upper register). Possible?
In my case, yes, biting is an issue sometimes. The higher the note, the more air support is needed...and I lack some of that so I compensate with biting.

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
I couldn't get anything.

2 suggestions Go onto Pete Thomas's site and study all he was written on embouchure air control tone production and related stuff Think well on it, Feel what is going on in your mouth and larynx.

Buy Dave Leibman's book. Study it ... practice his routine for a year .... record yourself compare and be amazed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts