Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just tried a Lebayle & Theo Wanne baritone mouthpiece, and they both were narrower than the Vandoren bari reeds I had access to. Are Vandorens wider than other bari reeds, is a narrow tip rail a thing with boutique bari mouthpieces or are these defects?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,766 Posts
Most mouthpieces are more narrow than the reeds, particularly metal mouthpieces. Generally it is not considered a defect. Perhaps a mouthpiece maker might let us know why this is done. I confess, I have simply always accepted it as the norm and have no idea why its done or not done.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Most mouthpieces are more narrow than the reeds, particularly metal mouthpieces. Generally it is not considered a defect. Perhaps a mouthpiece maker might let us know why this is done. I confess, I have simply always accepted it as the norm and have no idea why its done or not done.
I don't like it when a reed overhangs the outside of the table. It can pinch my chops (I have a pretty meaty mouth and I tend to take a lot of mouthpiece). I think it's just sloppy design as it will have no effect on performance to make it a little bit bigger right there.

It is true, I think, that Vandoren reeds are just a skosh wider than other brands, so trying a different brand might be enough. Alternately, you can just shave a bit off the sides of the reed; that bit that's hanging off the side isn't really doing much of anything anyway. That's probably what I would do.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your feedback! I came across discussions of people saying that some metal bergs were faced for a tenor reed, didn’t know if that was a thing. I’ll try some other reeds :)

·
Registered
952 Posts
You mention tenor reeds. The last and final baritone that I owned because I found myself nearly never playing bari was a 1970s Bundy. I found that it played easily right to its bell notes and, surprisingly, on pitch, using a long tenor mouthpiece and reeds. I got the idea from a middle school teacher who started kids on bari that way.

The piece was on the neck only 1/2 inch. Because I play mostly tenor, this is something I wish I had tried 20 or so years ago when I could more comfortably carry the weight of a big horn.

I mentioned this to two baritone players who both said "that won't work." That was after I explained it definitely did.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
I don't like it when a reed overhangs the outside of the table. It can pinch my chops (I have a pretty meaty mouth and I tend to take a lot of mouthpiece). I think it's just sloppy design as it will have no effect on performance to make it a little bit bigger right there.

It is true, I think, that Vandoren reeds are just a skosh wider than other brands, so trying a different brand might be enough. Alternately, you can just shave a bit off the sides of the reed; that bit that's hanging off the side isn't really doing much of anything anyway. That's probably what I would do.
I have also had that happen with a few mouthpieces in the past. Dukoff, LT Guardala, CE Winds Guardala.

The rails on my mouthpiece now are beautiful but medium as opposed to thin. And the Profile of the mouthpiece is more like an Otto Link. To me this is what I want in a Metal Tenor mouthpiece that has some extra edge to it. They don't need to be pee shooter size. The 10mfan metal pieces look like they have this kind of size as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts