Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what NAPBIRT membership means, particularly in terms of finding a very good tech...

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
From their website: "We do not provide certification, testing, or endorsement of any individual member's abilities."

Their main qualifier is if you make 50% or more of your income from fixing instruments.

A good tech may be a NAPBIRT member, but being a NAPBIRT member has no bearing on whether a tech is good or not.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,530 Posts
Its a great place to continue learning, connect with other techs,find resources.I have been a member since 1996 & although I live in australia have been to a few conferences which were great..........

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
Nothing.
Anyone can become a NAPBIRT member, all you have to do is say you fix horns and pay the fee.
It's alot like SOTW.:)
Yep.. I would have to ask whats in it for me to join a private organisation that is based out of America.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Yep.. I would have to ask whats in it for me to join a private organisation that is based out of America.
You might get to go to the convention they are planning in Australia. :)

But fair coment. But others would argue that it is an organisation where what is important is what you can give to others... You could conduct a class at that Aussie convention.

·
4,690 Posts
I can understand an organisation that is not regulated or not required by law to be regulated, band together (lame pun) in an attempt to try and bring some unity to the industry. This happens in many an industry worldwide. However majority of the times I feel, the point gets lost in the need for membership. For me to be a member, I would want to get something out of it, not just be a contrbuter for the good of all repairers, certainly membership would not be used to attract business here in australia, so something has to be available to justify costs incurred.

Yes, I probably will be going to the conference when its here in australia, may even consider having a beer with you gordon.(maybe). but back to topic, I would attend to actually see if something can be gleaned that could benefit me and my business. As far as me running a course, I would not be so presumptious in the belief that I can teach others who are also in the industry new things about repairs which we all do everyday. If it was on a topic which borders or skirts the instrument repair industry then yes I possibly could bring something new, but it would have to be on the lines of engineering / machining / or non destructive analysis, anything closer to repairing would be silly..

·
17,204 Posts
Gosh! Getting close! I wonder how many will be attending. Yes, I could face a beer if there is time for it.

Did you join to attend, or do they have provision for non-members to attend?

·
4,690 Posts
Had to pay an administration fee to attend, dont know if that entitled me to membership or not.

Hopefully I will learn something from it, be a bit of waste flying 6000kms otherwise, will at least meet some friends in the industry that I havent seen for 4-5 years so it could be good.

·
3,196 Posts
Becoming a member is a way of bringing in funds to help run the association. It is also a way of establishing who is and isn't a member. In the UK the sister organisation NAMIR is a similar group with a logo. Only professional members are allowed to use the logo. I think it's not right using the logo of a group you're not part of Hornfixer. It does make it look like you are part of the group.
Such groups don't have the capacity to test each member for their professional ability. It seems many think this is or should be the aim, but really it is a group of like minded people sharing ideas/ working methods, places to obtain parts/ services etc and advice on legal matters and special events/ talks/ visits are put on for members. NAMIR has a private forum for repairers to discuss problems/ ask for spares etc etc.
It's not odd having to become a member. Any other club/ group/ does the same. As with many other groups you get a magazine, so even if you contribute nothing to the group, (which would be a shame), you would get the magazine, logo use, opportunity to attend meetings and visits to factories/ museums etc etc.

·
4,690 Posts
I agree with the creation of an organisation for the sharing of ideas amongst individuals in a specific field, for this I agree with you oric muso, the issue comes about when organisations such as those you describe become a commercial entity of there own.

The purpose is lost and financial demand becomes the focus

·
17,204 Posts
Actually, for me, using the NAPBIRT certificate and logo feels totally weird here in New Zealand. NZ has no national association.... so the certificate saying I belong to one is plain silly. If NAPBIRT canvasses for and accepts members outside USA, then it is international, and they should change the name to IABIRT. I guess in USA they don't think of these things.

·
3,196 Posts
Actually, for me, using the NAPBIRT certificate and logo feels totally weird here in New Zealand. NZ has no national association.... so the certificate saying I belong to one is plain silly. If NAPBIRT canvasses for and accepts members outside USA, then it is international, and they should change the name to IABIRT. I guess in USA they don't think of these things.
People outside of America can join NAPBIRT and people outside of the UK can join NAMIR. They aren't set up to be international groups though.

·
3,286 Posts
The thing in your avatar isn't a sticker.
Well at least I'm a repairman.
There are some members that don't repair.
I don't think they give avatars with a membership.

If it is really a problem, then I will rejoin.
What do they charge nowdays.
I think it was $35 the last time.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I had a membership a while back, I eagerly waited until I had met all of the qualifications for a full time membership and was surprised when I got an acceptance email literally the second I clicked on the "submit payment" button without any reference checks or anything. It was disappointing and I haven't renewed my membership.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts