Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Your tone is good but you seem to be fairly sharp throughout which is not intonation but tuning, easy to fix. Nice that you don't feel the need to wow us with technique, but if playing in such a slow mode there probably needs to be more emphasis on dynamics and more variation in tone, attack, etc. Nice phrasing and melodic sense.

Your sound is generally is very acceptable for sitting in on jams. This wasn't anything like a jam though as it's very practiced with a backing track. When "sitting in" you won't have that comfort. How do you play when confronted with a piece you don't know and/or no music or at best a chart in C?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the insight Wade, always thought i was a little sharp, have changed mouthpiece, from small chamber to a large, on an old conn, seems to help a bit, your right about sitting in, whole different ball game there, one shot and thats it, agian thanks for the insight

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would say get out there and sit in! Even if you go and only do one or two tunes that you know, getting out there will push you to a different level and comfort zone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,960 Posts
I agree...perhaps a tad sharp, but had you not mentioned we pay attention to intonation, I wouldn't have really noticed. Nice phrasing, VERY nice sound you are getting....in the future, back off the reverb....it would sound much better with less of that.

What's your horn ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
I'm gonna hazard a guess at a 12M (or derivative there of).

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
I don't normally comment on reverb because I'm in the minority on this one. But......I think a little reverb helps. Maybe you could back yours off a little, but I wouldn't give it up altogether. (Sorry, Jaye).

But I really like your sound outside of being a little sharp.

Regards,
George

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
horn is a 30m conn, really nice horn. i was playing a small chamber meyer mouthpiece, and always had to pull it out so much, and still sharp, have switched to an otto link it seems to help out a little, more likely the player than the mouthpiece, any tips about controlling sharpness would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Ray, jamming is the essence of what we do..get out there and DO IT!!!

...just make sure you have tunes prepared that you really know...this will gain respect of the other cats
... play a couple of tunes MAXIMUM and then sit back down...let everyone get to know you gradually....in short time you'll be playing more
playing with a rhythm section is a WHOLE lot different than playing with a recording in your living room....if you could play as relaxed as you do on that recording at a jam,youve got this whole thing figured out!!...but its next to impossible!!!

·
17,960 Posts
I don't normally comment on reverb because I'm in the minority on this one. But......I think a little reverb helps. Maybe you could back yours off a little, but I wouldn't give it up altogether. (Sorry, Jaye).

Regards,
George
No apologies, I was suggesting the same thing...you don't have to omit it...but it's too much in that recording...it actually becomes distracting a bit.

·
17,960 Posts
horn is a 30m conn, really nice horn. i was playing a small chamber meyer mouthpiece, and always had to pull it out so much, and still sharp, have switched to an otto link it seems to help out a little, more likely the player than the mouthpiece, any tips about controlling sharpness would be appreciated
Player to a point, but if you find you are sharp all over the place, and a change in m'piece makes the problem recede, keep looking. Small-chamber Meyer ? Which one would that have been ?

A large-chamber is a much better choice on an old Conn....bring it to a few shops and experiment with a buncha mouthpieces.

I also agree that one should pick a few tunes they are familiar with when going to a jam session/open mic thing. I think at times folks make it more scary than it actually is. I mean, unless the house band is comprised of a buncha #ssholes...you should be able to call a tune...and maybe if you stay up there solo over a few choruses on another few. Trick is not to call something obscure.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Jam sessions must be a lot different where you guys live. Nobody "calls tunes" here and it's never about standards. You've got to be able to play anything with anyone. Usually led by someone who plays keyboards or guitar as they lay down the chords and rhythm. Often they are trying out new ideas/tunes of their own. Other times just using known progressions.

Cup33, if you know who you are going to jam with then you should be able to be ready. If not standards, and you can't "call" a tune you know, then you've got to have ears to figure out what's happening so that you can contribute. A good practice for this is to put on random radio stations (rock, classical, jazz, etc.) and see if you can play along. No challenge, no growth.

Best of luck.

·
17,960 Posts
Interesting...I guess there's a bit more etiquette in the places around here, at least for Jazz. Worst-case scenario is you put your name on a list, when you are called, you will either be playing with another horn or two and they call the tune...then you get your turn after the first or second tune...or when you are called you get to call the tune for the band. Odd, this is the same way we used to do it back on the East Coast, too....just common courtesy around here.

I agree with you Wade, good to get progressions under your belt. You go to a Jazz jam, have rhythm changes and blues under your fingers already....and you will be fine. Unless it's a shredding session. Thing is, about those...word gets out pretty quickly and they aren't gonna end up drawing so well. In the city/Bay Area, there are always a few jams to choose from, so they have to behave themselves if they want to get a good rep.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its a ny meyer #7 small chamber, jaye, the otto link seems to be working a lot better, now that i am playing it more. thanks guys for the encouragement to sit in, it will be about 2 weeks before i could do it

·
6,831 Posts
If he can get that sound from a Baritone...the guy is special, indeed.....:|

:mrgreen:

BTW, Cup.....in 5 years.... this is your 7th post.....
....do come back sooner than 10 months, eh ?
Doh! Know what I mean, not what I say! I meant 10M, but good catch! I feel like a boob.

·
6,831 Posts
Seems I was right on the Conn though :) I clearly meant 10M, and that proof (to me anyway) at how close the newer Conns are to their older brethren :) (not that 30Ms are new at all, just newER :) ).

·
6,831 Posts
Jam sessions must be a lot different where you guys live. Nobody "calls tunes" here and it's never about standards. You've got to be able to play anything with anyone. Usually led by someone who plays keyboards or guitar as they lay down the chords and rhythm. Often they are trying out new ideas/tunes of their own. Other times just using known progressions.

Cup33, if you know who you are going to jam with then you should be able to be ready. If not standards, and you can't "call" a tune you know, then you've got to have ears to figure out what's happening so that you can contribute. A good practice for this is to put on random radio stations (rock, classical, jazz, etc.) and see if you can play along. No challenge, no growth.

Best of luck.
Jams I've been to here, are a compromise between what you experience Wade, aand what you experience Jays. A little bit of both here.

"Shred" sessions are just something some of us do at each others houses when we want to try new ideas, make some noise, or try out each other's saxes/mouthpieces :) .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts