Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how or under what category the saxophonist's at the NAMM show attend? It seems they are trying out horns and buying gear etc, but the NAMM website implies the show is for merchants Exclusively, are they the buying representatives of their local music store?

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,802 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Does anyone know how or under what category the saxophonist's at the NAMM show attend? It seems they are trying out horns and buying gear etc, but the NAMM website implies the show is for merchants Exclusively, are they the buying representatives of their local music store?
OK- Many time if your NOT an endorser you can get a "pass" from a music store where you know someone face to face.

The next show is-
JANUARY 19-22, 2012

If your serious and interested check this link ;
http://www.namm.org/membership

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK- Many time if your NOT an endorser you can get a "pass" from a music store where you know someone face to face.

The next show is-
JANUARY 19-22, 2012

If your serious and interested check this link ;
http://www.namm.org/membership
Thanks for the info. I guess reading the stories by greg veil, of Marienthal buying a new 82z off the floor gave me an impression of NAMM that only applies for endorsers. It seems the vendors won't usually sell direct, but will take orders for a store purchase. Oh well...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Just saw this thread- thought I'd add something funny I heard recently:

I've heard "war stories" from the older cats who used to go to NAMM when it was still in it's more "exclusive" times- when unless you were store owner, distributer, invited guest musician or performer, and had the credentils to back it all up, you didn't get in. A local store owner was telling me of the year he decided not to come back, was the year that they started letting in the average joe who signed up as a guest ( I guess the equivalent of a Yellow Tag nowadays). He felt it took away from the seriousness of the situation and gave it a cheapened taste, since there was not really any exclusivity.

I can't say I agree with him. Certainly, there are a number of people that I've heard are let in towards the end that are just regular folks wanting to get a feel for the action, but isn't that the real clientele? The people who will be buying the gear the minute it become avilable to the masses?
I think that, if it's true that average consumers can come in and browse, it's pretty cool! That is, if they can conduct themselves accordingly and not be nuts when they see one of their heros walking around or something like that! I guess that particular aspect does not really bother me, as I am very few people's hero!:|

But, personally, I've held the illusion of the grandeur of NAMM since I first read about it and wanted to go for myself. But I never really wanted to go alone, and I know my wife would, in turn, want to take me on a 3 day long spa trip or somethng in response to being drug around a gear trade show all weekend![rolleyes] And, I know this may sound sheepish, but I didnt want to go as a civilian either. If I went, I'd wanted to go as an endorser or as a guest of a company.

However, this comming year I was invited to NAMM with some other endorsed artists and friends, so I guess I will be able to know first hand the ins and outs of the Show very soon!

In addition, I hear there's going to be some other GREAT guest performers this year! :bluewink: Maybe I'll do a little write-up on my experience after it's all over!

Good times!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Yes, one may receive a PASS from a friendly music-store owner - that's how I did it two years in a row. The PASSES I saw were from members, not the general public. That could have changed in subsequent years.

WARNING! The cacophony will (may?) drive you insane. For sure, you will walk out temporarily deaf from all the electric guitars and keyboards being played.

My visit to the Yamaha section was totally drowned out and ruined by an electric band with amps cranked to the max, right in the middle of the display.

Even in NAMM's woodwind section, it was difficult to really test anything. All the hot-licks being played around me finally drove me out.

I carried three set-ups with me (sop, alto, and clarinet) and did manage few toots on various instruments. I'm glad I went, and I saw some interesting things, but OH MY - my EARS!! DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
I attended NAMM about 20 years ago - I don't care to imagine how loud it would be now. If you go as an endorser, you do have some obligation to stay in your booth and do what you came for (demo the products for non-players, store owners, etc.) - at least that's the obligation I feel.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm bringing my ear plugs! In fact, I bought new ones just for that trip!

Dr G,
No doubt. I have to say that I am very blessed- both of my endorser that will be there have gave me a very loose schedule! Pretty much a "come around from time to time, blow and go" sort of attitude! Very cool! They mostly have told me to take it all in, they want to introduce me to folks, and generally have fun- being my first year there!

As for obligation, I am S.T.O.K.E.D. to be able to talk up my endorsers! I really think it's a lot of fun to share experience when asked about the products and their applications! It's always a good time talking to other gear heads because you can give info and you always learn something new!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts