Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regarding NAMM and other such conventions, are they open to the general public? Can just anyone bring their horn and try stuff? What are the ins and outs?

What other conventions like this are there in NA?

I'm in Florida and don't think any come to me, but I'd be willing to travel to partake in one of these at some point.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,798 Posts
Regarding NAMM and other such conventions, are they open to the general public? Can just anyone bring their horn and try stuff? What are the ins and outs?

What other conventions like this are there in NA?

I'm in Florida and don't think any come to me, but I'd be willing to travel to partake in one of these at some point.
I have heard you have to be invited by an insider. I have also heard that you need a special pass to be able to bring a horn in. Because it is a huge room with thousands of horns they don't want people walking in and out with cases and horns that don't need to be walking in and out. It just makes security a lot more complicated. I personally could never try a mouthpiece and buy it without my horn so that doesn't make any sense to me but that is what I heard on Facebook.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,985 Posts
Never been to NAMM, but it used to be only for industry sorts until they opened it up to the public on a somewhat limited basis; no doubt to make more cash.

I'm sure you've heard of the Saxophone Symposium put on by the Navy Band. First off, it's free. Secondly, it's a weekend of saxophone performances, clinics and lectures that can feature world class players of multiple genres. Thirdly, the vendor room will allow you to try pretty much everything that's out there being made by the major brands, some boutique horns as well as mouthpieces and even vintage horns, though on a lesser scale. Lastly, you can bring your own horn into the vendor room for side by side comparisons, and if you've got an act or lecture to give, you can apply to participate.

http://www.navyband.navy.mil/saxophone/#/

Being in Fairfax Virginia, it won't cost you as much to get there and you can also take the time to tour nearby DC. Bad news is, you just missed the last one a couple weeks ago.

·
14,268 Posts
I went twice with tickets given to me by local music stores. Then, it was an insider's thing and admittance was only allowed to those who had a ticket. Still, the Anaheim Convention Center was packed - one of the noisiest places I'd ever heard. Highly entertaining, though, as long as I stayed far away from the electronics.

On TV this past week, I saw a news-spot about NAMM and it was mentioned that attendance could be arranged at their web-site. I did not pursue it so I don't know if someone NOT in the music manufacturing business could be admitted. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,133 Posts
To make things clear; the "insiders" are either music retailers or manufacturers (including sound and lighting companies). It is not open to the public and you can't bring your horn inside unless you are a performer there. I usually bring mouthpieces though because they are small and obviously not brand new (if anyone asks). The show is HUGE and a person can't see it all even if they attend all four days.

https://www.namm.org/faqs/how-do-i-attend-namms-trade-shows-and-show-open

·
7,133 Posts
That is quite possible. I don’t remember but I have heard the European show “Music Messe” is open to the public on certain days.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
So has anyone seen anything cool at NAMM 2019? I'd love to go someday, though I'm neither a merchant nor manufacturer, and don't even play one on TV.

The NAMM product demo I've been anticipating most is the Red Panda Particle v2 granular synth pedal. That, and the new 10mfan/Eric Falcon pieces.

·
3,947 Posts
I went to the show last two years. It’s huge, loud and a once in a lifetime must attend event. 4 Days is not enough time.
Members only, I was given a ticket from a member as a vendor guest....a potential customer. Membership is $270 annually and the four day pass I think was $150. The seminars and workshops alone are worth the fees. For the young crowd (-21)next Gen events are a must. I did not see the Klangoborgen thingy...wasn’t looking. If you are planning on seeing celebrities stay home, wrong event.
Here is information on the 2019 summer show. https://www.namm.org/summer/2019/attend

·
Registered
245 Posts
>>> Here is information on the 2019 summer show. https://www.namm.org/summer/2019/attend

That's a lot closer for me - but will there be much sax stuff there? I've heard that the summer show is very different.

·
7,133 Posts
Summer show is much smaller with less sax stuff.

·
3,947 Posts
Closer to me too. And good question about content
You have to search the website for the information you’re interested in.Yes they do list the vendors with a little effort you can see all the vendors at the January ‘19 show. Read the information down the right side of this page. It appears if you sign in early you may obtain a free ticket. Take your time there is a ton of information on this website.
https://www.namm.org/home

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,942 Posts
It is not open to the public and you can't bring your horn inside unless you are a performer there. I usually bring mouthpieces though because they are small and obviously not brand new (if anyone asks).
Although the security obviously have the right to search you, and if they find mouthpieces, new or not, they have the right to not allow them in. If this does happen, and you cannot get a message to a vendor inside that can authorise you to carry them, then that might scupper the point of you being there so best to get all those ducks in a row before going.

This did happen to me and luckily I was able to get a message to my sponsor who then authorised me to security, but wasted about an hour of my time needn't have got wasted if I'd arranged with the sponsor in advance to tell security.

·
3,947 Posts
Wow Pete I didn’t know you were there. Would’ve been nice to meet you in person. Yes all of the large conventions sporting events concerts or any large assemblies in the state now I have security checks. Almost all of them have walk through metal detectors and some kind of a bag check. No fluids, no water bottles,nothing in a container. I’m sure you read the notices in advance about security procedures. For those attending in the future I recommend you review that information. Their greatest interest is the safety of all participants. That has challenges and inconvenience associated with it. Sadly that’s part of life now here in the big city.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts