Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
What was this thread about?
I think it was about a group and a musician who could not play in tune, sounded like they were each in a different room, played very out of tune, and totally sucked. What it has become is a personal attack on me I believe, and some idiot with a sad and pathetic life who is a loser thinking I am someone named Robert Rebhoz, which I am not, and who wants to make a video to show how how stupid and pathetic he is.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
I'll never forget what the bee gees told me about people who couldn't handle a little good natured ribbing...
You have to tell us, or else drop out of the name dropping competition, not that it matters as I think I'm going to win it. At least that's what Meghan told me over lunch.

Back to the topic now please Leo, ah yes - great to see such a performer. All we had before for baritone was Lisa.

FWIW, I predict this thread will be closed in less than 50 posts.
More name dropping: Mr Pedantic just tapped me on the shoulder to say (a) it should be fewer than 50 posts and (b) you are wrong.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,663 Posts
Really surprising turn in this thread. FWIW, I do think you came on pretty strong Dave! I would only give really good friends that much of a hard time if I knew they could take it! The name dropping was in the context of the thread, so not sure why you got you so fired up. I think you're a good guy and I like your videos, so I was really surprised by your post.
?? I just wanted his help for a video. Someone in another thread said that's what his name was - saying a name isn't attacking anyone. I don't believe in anonymity online, so I don't see any issue there. If that's not him, my mistake - I just asked for his email. I'm going to do the video either way, but figured he could lend me his expertise. If you think THAT is giving him a hard time, oh man you should definitely talk to my friends. That's NOTHING in my eyes!

·
Registered
Couf Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bari
171 Posts
Styles, I don't think anybody wants you to leave the forum. You've been here a short time and are learning your way around. I've been a lurker for years, and only started posting when life changed. There are many, many people on this forum that are quite accomplished. They play, they teach, the do things that I could never do, and not for nothin', I've done some very good things. The point is... this is a relatively congenial place where people who are interested in saxophone come to discuss, well, almost anything.

I understand you've played with some of the greats. Many folks here have, too. Nobody comes on to brag about it. We just do our thing out of love for the saxophone.

When an innocuous post occurs about something interesting, like potentially new key work, the last thing anybody wants to hear is that the player sucks. The post was about a potentially unique idea about key modification, NOT the ability of the player. As I've said before, some people like strawberries, others blueberries. So be it. It's a big wide world. Opinions differ. That's what makes this forum interesting. I don't always agree with other posters, but I would never denigrate their opinion of what they like. To each his own. I saw on another post about Sonny Criss, where your first comment was, he's flat. Damn. Sonny was a great player who died a very unfortunate death. He contributed a lot to understanding of alto lines. And your first comment, after someone posted admiring him, was to essentially say he sucks, too.

This is a good forum. Vitriol has no place. And if you're here a little longer, you can see how those folks get slammed by people, and to my mind, rightfully so. Difference of opinion is encouraged. Rising to the level of banging someone who doesn't agree with your opinion is just childish, and really not for this spot.

You've played with some great people. Others here have, too. Everyone's opinion is equal here. I can agree to disagree. But please, stop the name dropping and holier than us attitude. It's supposed to be a relatively fun place. I come here for friendship and information. I've met many cyber-friends who I hope to meet face to face in the future. That's pretty special to me, and I think others share the sentiment. Life's too short. Have some fun, lighten up, contribute your expertise to the conversation, and be thankful a forum like this exists.

Respectfully,

Couffy

·
Banned
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Styles, I don't think anybody wants you to leave the forum. You've been here a short time and are learning your way around. I've been a lurker for years, and only started posting when life changed. There are many, many people on this forum that are quite accomplished. They play, they teach, the do things that I could never do, and not for nothin', I've done some very good things. The point is... this is a relatively congenial place where people who are interested in saxophone come to discuss, well, almost anything.

I understand you've played with some of the greats. Many folks here have, too. Nobody comes on to brag about it. We just do our thing out of love for the saxophone.

When an innocuous post occurs about something interesting, like potentially new key work, the last thing anybody wants to hear is that the player sucks. The post was about a potentially unique idea about key modification, NOT the ability of the player. As I've said before, some people like strawberries, others blueberries. So be it. It's a big wide world. Opinions differ. That's what makes this forum interesting. I don't always agree with other posters, but I would never denigrate their opinion of what they like. To each his own. I saw on another post about Sonny Criss, where your first comment was, he's flat. Damn. Sonny was a great player who died a very unfortunate death. He contributed a lot to understanding of alto lines. And your first comment, after someone posted admiring him, was to essentially say he sucks, too.

This is a good forum. Vitriol has no place. And if you're here a little longer, you can see how those folks get slammed by people, and to my mind, rightfully so. Difference of opinion is encouraged. Rising to the level of banging someone who doesn't agree with your opinion is just childish, and really not for this spot.

You've played with some great people. Others here have, too. Everyone's opinion is equal here. I can agree to disagree. But please, stop the name dropping and holier than us attitude. It's supposed to be a relatively fun place. I come here for friendship and information. I've met many cyber-friends who I hope to meet face to face in the future. That's pretty special to me, and I think others share the sentiment. Life's too short. Have some fun, lighten up, contribute your expertise to the conversation, and be thankful a forum like this exists.

Respectfully,

Couffy
Couffy, thanks for your intelligent and well written statement above. I just stopped back here one last time to give a very nice young man some information on mics. He is self taught, plays in a wedding band, and I passed on my knowledge of microphones to help him out. At this point in my life, age 72, I believe you need to put something back, because I only was able to have a career because a lot of people along the way helped me.

I do not "name drop," which I have been accused of, not my style. Most of my 40 year career before I retired was playing with name acts, world class musicians, and that is simply my reference point. I learned something from each of them. I really dislike personal attacks, especially when accused of something I did not do, or false claims about me. I went through that with Grumps and Dr. G a few months ago, and got banned for a while when I tried to defend myself from very unwarranted personal attacks. Once again I am on the receiving end because of my background, and it has nothing to do with name dropping. One person wrote that I knew nothing about saxophone or music in general. To that I gave him my educational level, and some national acts I have played or toured with to refute his silly statement.

I once again got attacked on a personal level, and someone thought I was a sax player name Robert Rebholz because of my screen name apparently. The irony of that is, and I mentioned it is Robert and I went to the same high school, but I was older, and we were never there at the same time. We grew up a few blocks from each other, but I did not meet Robert until the mid 70's. The person attacking me wanted to do a video on me for name dropping, yet I have never just "name dropped" for the sake of trying to impress anyone, it was always in context with what was being posted, and things I have learned in the music business. Am I to disregard my professional background because some people have a problem that I played at a more professional level? At the risk of once again "name dropping," I will try to give an example. I worked with Johnny Mathis on and off for over 3 decades, starting as a sideman, and later an orchestra contractor. When he came through town, his conductor who knew me asked the Milwaukee Symphony to hire me. It was a last minute call, 2 hours before the rehearsal, and I had a steady jazz gig at a hotel in town. I took the gig, and when the conductor said hi to me, I thanked him for the gig, and remarked on only having to play on 3 songs, and that I should be paid by the note. I was being well paid for just a small amount of playing in that situation. He remarked that "this will help make up for all those $15 jazz gigs you played over the years." I laughed, yes, I had played my share of them when I was in college, an so did he. Now that is just a story, but I am sure someone will attack me for name dropping.

If you go on youtube, a really great sax player, Dennis DeBlasio who toured with Maynard Furgeson in the 70's, and teaches at a college now who is around my age has videos just telling stories of his time with Maynard. Now he is not name dropping, but rather telling stories of his time on the band, and when he invited Maynard to his house a few times for dinner, Maynard did the same thing, recounting events in his life. That is all there is to it, but I guess some people think that is "name dropping."

I have had my fill of personal attacks, and even Pete replied to the effect if it comes to who wins the contest of big names, he would probably win. It is not a contest, but if it were, I would win hands down. This room is just messed up, I have had my fill, and I thought this was a more professional place than it is. Too many fragile ego here. Time for me to move on in my life. Nothing here for me. Here is a good story from Dennis, but I am sure some people will accuse him of "name dropping." He has a lot of these videos, and younger musicians love them because that era is gone.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I don't think the name dropping is a big deal. Being completely insensitive, opinionated, abrasive, combative and disrespectful is pretty much like painting a target on your back.

·
Banned
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hello StylesBitchly. I personally don't see any problem whatsoever with so-called "name dropping". I like to know who's up here and their level of experience. We are a diverse group from amateurs to experts. I don't understand how anyone can have a problem with that, ESPECIALLY those who continually post YouTube videos of themself up here in the interesting of a marketing ploy called "keeping your mane out there"! I don't have a problem with that either, I'm just trying to understand this situation. Would we not put our experiences on a resume? Is that "name dropping?"
WOW, you really are WRONG sir. I have NEVER, posted a youtube video of myself. The video above is of Dennis DeBlasio, and I am not Dennis. If you bothered to actually read the posting, you would have understood that, and I used that video as an example of someone who played with a name big band when they were still around, teaches at a college, and posts those because younger players enjoy the road stories about Maynard Ferbuson. It is from an era gone by. That is not me, and I would say you owe me an apology sir, a big one.

I do not "market" anything here, and once again I get a personal attack from someone who thinks they are correct all the time, abrasive, opinionated, combative, disrespecful, and does not even bother to read what I wrote and understand it. I do not use anything "as a ploy to keep my name out there" as you claim because that is not me. You would have understood that if you had bothered to read the posting, which is in plain English. Is that "name dropping?" Man, I wrote that to explain of how another sax player who has some great credentials mentions a truly great musician, and tells some stories.

You seem to have an agenda here of attacking me, calling me names, attributing things to me which are not true, and then claiming I posted "a video of myself as a marketing ploy to keep my name out there." You are dead wrong on all of that, but your hatred for me comes across loud and clear. Try actually reading what I wrote, and not jump to claims that are unfounded and not true. Once again I get a personal attack, and once again someone does not bother to read what I wrote, and jumps to a conclusion which is unfounded. Do I get an apology from you??? I think I deserve one.

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
WOW, you really are WRONG sir. I have NEVER, posted a youtube video of myself. The video above is of Dennis DeBlasio, and I am not Dennis. If you bothered to actually read the posting, you would have understood that, and I used that video as an example of someone who played with a name big band when they were still around, teaches at a college, and posts those because younger players enjoy the road stories about Maynard Ferbuson. It is from an era gone by. That is not me, and I would say you owe me an apology sir, a big one.

I do not "market" anything here, and once again I get a personal attack from someone who thinks they are correct all the time, abrasive, opinionated, combative, disrespecful, and does not even bother to read what I wrote and understand it. I do not use anything "as a ploy to keep my name out there" as you claim because that is not me. You would have understood that if you had bothered to read the posting, which is in plain English. Is that "name dropping?" Man, I wrote that to explain of how another sax player who has some great credentials mentions a truly great musician, and tells some stories.

You seem to have an agenda here of attacking me, calling me names, attributing things to me which are not true, and then claiming I posted "a video of myself as a marketing ploy to keep my name out there." You are dead wrong on all of that, but your hatred for me comes across loud and clear. Try actually reading what I wrote, and not jump to claims that are unfounded and not true. Once again I get a personal attack, and once again someone does not bother to read what I wrote, and jumps to a conclusion which is unfounded. Do I get an apology from you??? I think I deserve one.
I was not referring to you with the YouTube videos. I'm also not attacking you in any way. I was on your side. Forget it, I'm out of this controversy as of now.

·
30,102 Posts
ESPECIALLY those who continually post YouTube videos of themself up here in the interesting of a marketing ploy called "keeping your name out there"!
You rang sir?

NB: I'm going to move all the namedropping discussion to its own thread, makes littelsense in a thread discussing saxophone keywork

·
30,102 Posts
It also makes little sense in its own thread. 🤷‍♂️
Er, seems to me discussing namedropping makes sense in a thread about namedropping. I put it in Working Sax Pros subforum because there is an argument that dropping names, resumé, discography is a legit part of self promotion. Note that I added "self promotion" to the titile to op-en up the discussion a bit more, because that is the way it was heading. As a working professional self promotion is very important IMO.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,443 Posts
Er, seems to me discussing namedropping makes sense in a thread about namedropping. I put it in Working Sax Pros subforum because there is an argument that dropping names, resumé, discography is a legit part of self promotion. Note that I added "self promotion" to the titile to op-en up the discussion a bit more, because that is the way it was heading. As a working professional self promotion is very important IMO.
Pete, Sorry to be confusing. Yes, the move from the other thread makes sense. I was referring to the ego stroking and feelings of persecution by Mr Bitchly...who ironically has dropped every name but his own. I agree self promotion is important and I'm glad most of the folks who do it on the forum are good members who bring a lot to the community here.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Dear Mr Pollack - please, please please put your name-dropping video together - maybe it should take the form of a cutting contest building to a climax where the loser's head explodes - that would be really styles-ish!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts