Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Let's see, there's the cats you mentioned, plus there's Brother Jack McDuff, Dr. Lonnie Smith, Chris Foreman of the Deep Blue Trio, and Japanese virtuoso Akiko Tusruga.

But that's just the ones I can think of. (I've been playing gigs with a Hammond player:))

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is probably a toss-up between Larry Young and The Mighty Burner, Charles Earland. But I've been listening to Johnny "Hammond" Smith lately, and he's no slouch either.
Should clarify I was listening to some of Smith's 60s stuff - I have a feeling I might not be into some of his 70s funk.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,023 Posts
There is no better jazz organist than Jimmy Smith. He invented it. And he grooves harder than any other player.

But my favorite jazz organist to watch is Barbara Dennerlein.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,853 Posts
I can't get enough of this whole C.D. Not a dud in the bunch. It's just Too Damn Hot....
Dr. Lonnie Smith knows how to do it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,023 Posts
Jimmy Smith groovin' hard

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
ive seen ,or played with 90% of the names listed above ..Larry Young gets a nod for innovation...but i never seen anyone else do what Jimmy does

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Gary Versace. Great ideas, swings like mad, fits wonderfully in any context. Examples include: John Abecrombie's new organ trio, various Loren Stillman projects (especially Brothers Breakfast), The Nut Tree Quartet with Jerry Bergonzi, Mat Willson's Arts & Crafts band, Lee Konitz duo OrganicLee and the Ellery Eskelin Trio New York.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,419 Posts
Haven't heard Abercrombie's organ trio..

Y'all don't forget Jimmy McGriff!

Joey DeFrancesco is my current fav. What he does on Sunny is smokin'!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Joey Defrancesco. What a monster! Keep in mind he's also kicking the bass line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFcVaitADW8
Joey D. is indeed a monster. But it looks to me like he's playing the walking bass with his left hand. His foot may be bouncing on the bass pedals to add some punch, but I don't think he's actually playing the bass line with his foot. (At least in this video. I'm sure he's got plenty of bass pedal chops)

Compare it to the video of Barbara Dennerlein in post #7 of this thread. You can really see her foot playing the bass line, and it frees up her left hand to play chords.

Lots of great players mentioned in this thread!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
15,961 Posts
Jimmy Smith.......none better.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Joey D. is indeed a monster. But it looks to me like he's playing the walking bass with his left hand. His foot may be bouncing on the bass pedals to add some punch, but I don't think he's actually playing the bass line with his foot. (At least in this video. I'm sure he's got plenty of bass pedal chops)

Compare it to the video of Barbara Dennerlein in post #7 of this thread. You can really see her foot playing the bass line, and it frees up her left hand to play chords.

Lots of great players mentioned in this thread!
You are right, I was using the term sort of slangily to imply he was also playing the bass line, just in case anyone didn't notice the lack of a bass player in the video. As a keyboard player I covered the bass line in a lot of bands, as a way to stretch the payroll. Early on I used a Rhodes bass keyboard, like Ray Manzarek of the Doors used. Later I used synths. Now I just split the keyboard. I had a hell of a time trying to play solos while keeping the bass line going initially.

I asked Joey about that once and he said he used the foot pedals mostly on ballads and his left hand on the uptempo stuff, occasionally augmenting the fast tunes with the pedals. Jimmy Smith, Groove Holmes, McGriff, all use the same approach more or less.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
You are right, I was using the term sort of slangily to imply he was also playing the bass line, just in case anyone didn't notice the lack of a bass player in the video. As a keyboard player I covered the bass line in a lot of bands, as a way to stretch the payroll. Early on I used a Rhodes bass keyboard, like Ray Manzarek of the Doors used. Later I used synths. Now I just split the keyboard. I had a hell of a time trying to play solos while keeping the bass line going initially.

I asked Joey about that once and he said he used the foot pedals mostly on ballads and his left hand on the uptempo stuff, occasionally augmenting the fast tunes with the pedals. Jimmy Smith, Groove Holmes, McGriff, all use the same approach more or less.
Dig it!
Organ players gotta cover a lot of stuff. Much more coordination required than just covering the sax parts!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts