Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends and I will get together sometimes and play changes to see who can guess the tune the fastest. I used to do this a lot when I lived in Charleston, haven't met as many guys here that I can do this with yet, but I'm working on it :)

Doing this inspired a practice exercise that I still do to this day. I pick a tune, set up a recorder and then just start playing. Generally I pick a tune that I haven't played in a long time and I don't spend time refreshing it, just pick and go! I record it to go back and analyze later. I don't use a backing track and I don't use a metronome. The goal is to use the harmony to create a melody.

Anyway ... I'm home this week by myself as the wife and kids are in Ohio so I was sitting at the kitchen table practicing (normally I shed in my music room) and a decided to play a tune I hadn't played in about 1.5 years and click record. This is the first take and it's a standard. Not a heavily played one, but not obscure either.

I figured since I haven't done this with my friends in chucktown in a while, that I'd post it here to see if anyone can get it! Audio isn't the best as I wasn't pointing at the phone ... sorry! Wasn't planning on posting it:)

Let's see who can get it and how long it takes!

https://soundcloud.com/simonjazzsax%2Fname-that-tune

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,430 Posts
No idea, but have a good sound and jazz style, although somewhat clinical.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No idea, but have a good sound and jazz style, although somewhat clinical.
Thanks.

I guess it would be slightly clinical as this is technically a recording of my practice exercise developed specifically to work on playing through the harmony while creating melodic lines with no backing track. Not necessarily what I would play at a performance, with a band or if I was playing a "real" solo.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Candy/Perdido?
Close!!

Not quite though.

The bridge is different.

The A section is pretty much the same as Perdido, but the last A or C, if you feel better calling it that, has an extension.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts