Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Was it 'Cut the Pieces' or Pick Up the Cake'?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
If you go to the AWB website you can download the transciption free

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
trigger said:
If you go to the AWB website you can download the transciption free
Only 33 years too late for me...:)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
It's nice to see the CORRECT chart on this tune! As easy as it is- I've heard it played wrong, hundreds of time in the last 30 years! Sax players, note that sometimes the tenor plays higher than the alto.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
asaxman said:
It's nice to see the CORRECT chart on this tune! As easy as it is- I've heard it played wrong, hundreds of time in the last 30 years! Sax players, note that sometimes the tenor plays higher than the alto.
I agree it is good to know the original for any tune. However, if you change the arrangement or play it slightly differently, that's ok, as long as it still sounds good! It's not a matter or it being right or wrong; it's a matter of how well it's played and how good it sounds.

In jazz of course, no one plays a tune exactly like the original or the same way as "so and so" played it. I realize that as you move more into the pop field, the expectation is to hear a cover tune played exactly like the original. I think this is one of the problems with pop music. A tune like "Pick Up the Pieces" is somewhere in between. I would say it's a good idea to at least play the head melody correctly, but from there do what you want on the overall arrangement, and on the solos. There are many versions of this tune, and if all of them were exactly the same, what would be the point?

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
hakukani said:
Was it 'Cut the Pieces' or Pick Up the Cake'?
Neither. It was "Who Cut the Cheese". :shock:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
cmon that's an easy one. I thought every sax player from 4th grade on knew that one. Just kidding!!!! That's a great song and crowds always like to hear it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,431 Posts
I'm guessing you birds don't know that the solo sax player on the AWB album was Michael Brecker. In fact, Michael and his brother Randy did all the horn work on that album by multi-tracking. They were known as the Brecker Brothers at that time. I remember when 'Pick Up The Pieces' first came out and the band I was in learned it - somebody said 'They're from Scotland' to which I replied 'That sax player is not from Scotland'. Turns out I was right.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
1saxman said:
I'm guessing you birds don't know that the solo sax player on the AWB album was Michael Brecker. In fact, Michael and his brother Randy did all the horn work on that album by multi-tracking. They were known as the Brecker Brothers at that time. I remember when 'Pick Up The Pieces' first came out and the band I was in learned it - somebody said 'They're from Scotland' to which I replied 'That sax player is not from Scotland'. Turns out I was right.

I've never heard that one before. :? :shock:

Have you got any information to support that statement ???

You've got me curious now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts