Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Conn "Eagle" trade mark mouthpiece. I acquired it with a Conn New Wonder C-Melody of ~1924 vintage. The mouthpiece bore diameter is .611", which is far too small for a C-Melody but somebody had crammed it on anyway, so it diggered up the cork of an otherwise decent Conn tuneable neck. It's a bit tight even for an alto neck, as I measure alto mouthpiece bores at .621" to .629", with an occasional Chinese cheapo straying up to .636".

It's on the left in the photo, dwarfed by the unmarked mouthpiece I acquired with a ~1922 Martin C-Melody. The C-Melody bore is .655".

Any ideas what might fit a .611" mouthpiece? Sopranos are much smaller, about .536".

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Try alto... I think I have exactly the same MPC but there are no markings. I got mine with my NW1 (1917) alto. Mine is exactly 15.4 mm (0.606") so that should be close enough. I don't like the sound of that MPC, it is very dark to the point of dull.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Consider that Conn made an "F-Mezzo Soprano" in 1929. Those are curved and larger than a Bb sop but smaller than an Eb alto. They are rare and it is unlikely that your mystery Conn mouthpiece came from an F-Mezzo, but possible. I don't know the measurements involved with the F-Mezzo - a friend of mine plays one but he lives in Nevada now.

I'm guessing alto, also. DAVE

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I'd say there's no doubt it's an alto mouthpiece. I've got its twin in my hand right now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,875 Posts
The conn Eagle that came with my conn C melody looked pretty much like this (maybe that’s wjhy they thought it would fit). I have then sold the Conn sax and mouthpiece to Raaf Hekkema so I no longer have it.

I can’t remember that there were any obvious clues that it was for C melody. This could be for alto, mezzo, Conn-O-sax...

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
The conn Eagle that came with my conn C melody looked pretty much like this (maybe that’s wjhy they thought it would fit). I have then sold the Conn sax and mouthpiece to Raaf Hekkema so I no longer have it.

I can’t remember that there were any obvious clues that it was for C melody. This could be for alto, mezzo, Conn-O-sax...
If it came with a Conn-o-sax I would immediately buy it :)

The alto MPC I have is 81.5 mm long (3.2"). The c-melody MPCs are a bit longer (4-ish)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, so most likely just an annoyingly skinny alto.

I'm in no rush to try it on an alto because I'm happy with my alto neck corks and don't want to risk getting them upset by squeezing this one on.

Thanks for the input, all.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
OK, so most likely just an annoyingly skinny alto.

I'm in no rush to try it on an alto because I'm happy with my alto neck corks and don't want to risk getting them upset by squeezing this one on.

Thanks for the input, all.
Not sure what you mean with annoyingly skinny, it is right where all my alto MPCs are, with the exception of my Theo Wanne Fire, which is a bit wider

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bore diameter is ten mils smaller than the smallest modern "official" alto I happen to have lying around. Ten mils doesn't sound like much but cork can be funny stuff (which is exactly why it's used where it is).

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Consider that Conn made an "F-Mezzo Soprano" in 1929. Those are curved and larger than a Bb sop but smaller than an Eb alto. They are rare and it is unlikely that your mystery Conn mouthpiece came from an F-Mezzo, but possible. I don't know the measurements involved with the F-Mezzo - a friend of mine plays one but he lives in Nevada now.

I'm guessing alto, also. DAVE
Spot on, Dave! That was my first guess as well. A friend of mine actually had an ultra-rare Conn F-Mezzo in his shop about 5 months ago to have some work done. I should've looked to see what mouthpiece was with it, but to be honest, I was too enthralled with the horn itself!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Yup. My friend grew up in SoCal and lived for several years on the central coast. He sometimes subbed in the band with whom I was playing and that F-Mezzo soprano was really funky (but oh so good), especially as this guy played it. I wish I'd paid closer attention to the mouthpiece he uses on the thing. DAVE

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
The bore diameter is ten mils smaller than the smallest modern "official" alto I happen to have lying around. Ten mils doesn't sound like much but cork can be funny stuff (which is exactly why it's used where it is).
There is considerable variation between MPCs:
Yamaha 4C: 15.1 mm
Theo Wanne Mindi Abair: 15.6 mm
Runyon 88: 15.6 mm
Brillhart Tonalin: 15.3 mm
The Woodwind Company Steek Ebonite: 15.4 mm
Theo Wanne Elements Fire: 16.1 mm

So the Eagle is just where it is supposed to be but I understand your concerns.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This mouthpiece is a rare one, I think its most likely a Conn F Mezzo Soprano saxophone mouthpiece. If you look at matt stohrers Video on his overview of the Mezzo he got, the mouthpiece for it looks extremely similar to the one you're talking about. I don't know where you got that piece but I think it a relatively rare one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts