Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a toy sop sax on ebay. I thought it was going to be a pre-1971 York stencil, but it is a straight sop that comes with two necks and has modern keywork. Yani's website says two necks on straight sops weren't introduced (ever) until the mid-1980s? I've attached some pics, and I'm hoping y'all can help me date it and speculate on the likely manufacturer.
It has a 7-digit serial number beginning with two letters: YS505xxxx
Pics of York stamp and some of the keywork attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I think I solved my own mystery. The engraving and keywork look like an Antigua Winds soprano, which itself is a Yani copy. So, this must be a stencil made by Antigua Winds, stamped York where Antigua would be. Maybe marketed in the UK from the now-defunct York brasswinds company?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,208 Posts
Conn-Selmer owns Leblanc which owns York. They tend to use these old brand names for Asian imports. Check out horns like the new Vito, Buescher BU series, etc.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand that Holton was bought by Leblanc. But I thought Keilworth and Schreiber owned the "York" brand itself up until 2010, having been bought by Boosey & Hawkes in 1976, which then sold their musical instrument division to Keilworth and Schreiber in 2003. My understanding is that Tolchin bought and then closed the York musical instruments factory in 1971, then sold the "proprietary rights" to Boosey and Hawkes in 1976. All of which have a connection to Buffet Crampon.

(See http://www.horn-u-copia.net/serial/Yorklist.html)

God, these cheap little horns are hard to trace.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts