Sax on the Web Forum banner

Mystery Bundy age ?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Robert scott lane 
#1 ·
Although I needed another saxophone like a hole in the head, I was reminiscing about my old Bundy and picked one up on eBay for kicks. It much older than my original Bundy and it's silver and the engraving says Elkhart. But the pinky G# key says Bundy . The serial number is so low 9622 that if it was a buescher, it would be made in 1909 or 1910. But that doesn't seem
Right. I read Bundy's weren't made in Elkhart until 1965 . Any idea how old this thing is? Or where I can find a real serial number list? I'm getting it repadded because it won't play below G right now but this few top notes sound nice.

See less See more
#2 ·
yes, this is a Elkhart , this company had a separate life until it was acquired by Buescher and was used to mak second line horns , so you will find, out there, their own instruments and other, such as yours, made under Buescher

#3 ·
it's an Elkhart 20A, which eventually became the Bundy when Buescher stopped selling them as Elkhart. Interesting that yours has the Elkhart engraving but a Bundy G# key....

Looking at the photo, the color/sheen of that key differs from the rest of the table....so am wondering if someone replaced that key. The Elkhart G# touches were sometimes shorter/narrower....they looked sorta odd...it's possible a former owner didn't like the Elkhart touch and their tech or someone found a Bundy key with the wider profile to replace it (?)

#4 ·
Caution, noob alert ... Robert's sax has a G# trill key in the right hand stack. Isn't that unusual if the horn is post-war or as late as the Elkhart to Bundy transition?

I have a Bundy alto that seems to be a sort of early version of the common Bundy sax, but post Elkhart - the bell is engraved Bundy and is a little fancier than usual - and the G# pinky key is a plain rectangle, not stamped "Bundy," so perhaps that stamping came later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.