Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Have no idea but soldering the cages for the bell keys to the toneholes has got to be one of the worst idead I've ever heard of.

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But it's a stencil without a stencil. Isn't the point usually to sell one manufacturer's product under a different marketer's brand name?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,206 Posts
Some similarities with Sioma. I'm not certain where those were built. French I think but they did get flutes from Italy. Also similar to Malerne with a bit of Buescher influence.
Dont' know!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Wasn't there a cousin or wayward brother of J. Keilwerth that made saxes with RTH out of Italy or eastern Europe at one time?

·
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't see anything in the ballpark on that site, but it's interesting viewing!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,110 Posts
Looks a lot like the G.H. Huller I just sold. Same bell brace and many similar features.

·
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Similar, but there are some important differences too I think, such as the bell key guard design.

·
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A consensus seems to be emerging in that direction, Alley Cat; others have suggested more or less the same.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The same slightly reckless method of attaching the key guard directly to the tonehole chimney as on my 1940's F.Kohler "Empor" tenor. Hardly conclusive, but evidence that this method of construction has been employed in Markneukirchen. I should add that J.Keilwerth of nearby Graslitz also soldered key guards directly to tonehole chimneys on some of their pre-war instruments. Does anyone know if this detail of construction was used by makers outside of the Markneukirchen/Graslitz region ?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Nice detective work!
Possibly. I come on SOTW in the hope that I might learn something about saxophones ! I'm not sure at all whether the detail I've highlighted is a complete red herring and was commonplace with makers other than those in Eastern Europe. I'm certainly agree with Swampcabbage.........one hard knock and you could be faced with a challenging repair.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts