Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago, I bought an Alto Saxophone from a schools band auction. It is a very nice looking instrument and it has a decorative engraving on the back side of it. On the front side of the bell, it says 'U.S.A. Crestmont Woodwinds" and the Serial Number is AS-02L10001. I've been looking for weeks and I haven't been able to find ANYTHING on this instrument. Any help would be appreciated. I'm planning on taking it to get looked at but last time I did, nobody knew anything. It wasn't a cheap saxophone when I bought it, and I need to find out more about it because I want to sell it. I need to know what price I should set. Please help!

·
Registered
736 Posts
looks like a chinese import

·
Registered
736 Posts
if in playing condition $150-$200 tops

·
Registered
205 Posts
Looks like a china stencil of a yamaha. Might be a decent horn. Probably not.

100 percent NOT made in the US. I'll bet my undying soul on that one.

Remember, I can put a mercedes badge on my hyundai. Doesn't mean I own an E class. Anyone ever have a student come in with one of those "shill german engineered" or "rsr" monstrosities? People get duped left, right, and center.

Rule of thumb: if it's not old, not a mexi-conn and it's not a Perl Silver Eagle- it's not American made.

EDIT: Might be a local store brand.

EDIT 2: Looks a lot like a selmer AS 500 (also a china stencil horn). I wouldn't ask more then $175. A horn like this is worth less then a decent pad job to get it up to scratch would cost.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I just got off the phone with Band Instruments Service and I was told the same thing in detail. He said Crestmont hasn't made an instrument since 1923 but there is a factory in china that makes stenciled versions of Yamaha and Jupiter and sells them. He said $200 seems reasonable.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,804 Posts
Anyone ever have a student come in with one of those "shill german engineered" or "rsr" monstrosities? People get duped left, right, and center.
Or two of my favorites, "Helmke" and "Selman."

This looks just like several other brands of Chinese-made saxes I regularly service for a rental company...if it plays (not a guarantee, even if it was only played twice), I think the prices suggested in the other replies are realistic.

·
Registered
736 Posts
It was a sad day when I found out that a chinese factory was pumping out horns with the Kohlert name on them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,289 Posts
You will also see horns labeled "French engineered" or "German...." which means they copied something. Some of these are good, some not. Anyone can label USA and it doesn't say "made in USA".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts