Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I am so excited to receive my new Yanagisawa TWO2! It is my second saxophone I bought new after 23 years since I bought my first mexi Conn when I just started. I tried it at a music store, at that time, i don't have my horns with me to compared, but based on my memory, I feel it has a brighter tone than my Bruescher Super 400 and Buffet Super Dynaction. But it is soooo free blowing that the low Bb just comes out effortless. Today, I test it in my own house, and I am a bit surprised that the tonal difference is larger than I thought. On my Buescher, I like to use Link STM with Vandoren red Java 2. On my Buffet, I like the tone of a Mouthpiece Cafe Bergonzi with Vandoren red Java 2. The Link STM 7* sounds good as well but I feel the Java 2 is a tiny bit too hard for this combination. But on the Yanagisawa, the MPC Bergonzi totally doesn't work. Maybe the reed is too soft for this combination. The STM with Java 2 combo sounds quite good. My Otto Link Tone Edge also sounds good with a smoky sound. It on the other hand sound too "dead" on the Buffet.

I think the tone of the Yanagisawa can be somewhat balance by the choice of mouthpiece. But the ease to play is second to none. Which I have a new theory. For the Buffet, I really like the tone, but maybe I need to use a mouthpiece with a smaller tip opening. I already bought one and will tried it once it arrives. So, maybe eventually, either one can achieve the sound I want, just need to play with different combinations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And these Yanagisawas are the only ones that I like and keep both alto and tenor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts