Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi to all!

this is only to ask what do you think about my "home made autodidact pacticing method"...

I'm 31 years old, and as Master Gary said a Archie Sheep/Albert Ayler/John Coltrane furious sax power sound addict.

I'm playng bass (totally by ear) for 9 years now, and then I've started studing sax, soprano in first and later Tenor, two years ago.

my main target with sax is:
-I would like to get a confidential feeling with the instrument, enought to being able to play themes and ideas I hear around or in my mind.
-Learn the basics ABC for improvising bur mainly I'm going to improvise in free-form

I've done the first 6 months with a personal teacher:
personal teacher program: starting to read sheet music (I hate to read music sheet...), blowing trought it!, cromatic scale, majour scales, doing some Aebersold and similar stuff, and then I stopped.

and 1,5 years alone:
alone program : learning mechanicly and by ear all triads, all the 7th (min, maj, Dominant and half-diminished), replayng themes by ear, learning mechanicly and by ear the ii-V-I and the minor ii-V-i and playng all the progressions with a training cd in movements 4th by 4th (D-G-C, G-C-F, C-F-Bb ...).

pacticing imporvisation with a cd/book of j.coltrane with:
theme with another horn - rithm section only chords progressions where improvise alone -theme with another horn.

In this days I'm starting to practice tritone and other substituctions (always over the progressions in movements 4th by 4th , and then I would try the trane changes BUT always as practicing way, not for go out and play this stuff live... I'm not a kamikazze...

Live I've to play bass with my band (http:myspace.com/atomikclocks), but on record I'm already putting my sop & tenor sax stuff, and I'm planning to do some live jams/songs without bass with my horn in plus... and only improvise freely or chord rooted over funk rithms or similar...

by now I'm very pleased with my progressions on the instrument and I would like what do you think about my method, and how many important things I'm not following, If I'm on the right path, what I've missed...

thank you in advance.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Jolle! you are very generous in precious suggestions.
Please could you tell me how I could perform daily exercises to improve tone.

Do you have your band on myspace? I would like to see/hear somenthing by you and your wide BergLarsen!

thank you in advance, and thank you very very much for your nice comments on my band's music on previous posts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts