Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, quick review. restarting adult who was never very good to begin with. Had a Berg Lasron stainless lying around, but it wasn't working all that well for me. somone here on the forum suggested I see Bob Carpenter, a guy who works mouthpieces just north of Seattle.

What a great guy!

I showed up with my tenor Couf Superba II. First thing he did was look at my Berg. Though stamped 95, it ,measured in at 80?! What kind of crapsmanship is THAT?! No wonder it was so damn hard to play...

Anyway, Bob reached into his "finished" mpc drawer and pulled out a rubber Bamber(?) Jazz he had refinished to a true 95. JOY! I could hit the notes -- almost all the notes -- immediately. I wanted to hug him on the spot.

Then we went thru a few more mpc's in the 95-100 range, and I settled on a Otto Link at around 100. The link is a tiny bit harder for me that them rubber one, but I know I will grow into it. It is also a tad brighter.

We spoke for a while about mpc's and (I know this will disappoint some of you but) he thought a lot of the mpc thng is just hype. Play what works, not what's "hot" or vintage or whatever.

And that is exactly how I chose what I bought -- by what worked.

I left with two mpc's, and felt like I left with custom shoes and a custom suit!

And I learned something -- forget ebay, forget the local shop, see the "pro" and buy what sounds good.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Bob Carpenter does great work. Don't know if it is true, but someone here said he mentored Theo.
I believe that is true, Leon. I've known Bob for many, many years. He keeps a rather low profile, doesn't get the "press" that a lot of other refacers get, but he really knows his stuff. No website; just prefers phone calls. I have his number if anyone is looking for it.

Al Carter
Mount Vernon, WA

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
Nice post TenorManDan.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gotta give the kudos where the kudos are due!

what amazed me was how far off the Berg was -- like who was running quality when that thing left the shop?

Bob told me Bergs are nice mpc's when you get a good one, but if it is off, and it is stainless, it takes MANY hours of work to try and get it back to where it needs to be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts