Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave my new nickel Venus a thrashing last night on a gig.

It showed me yet again how you can play at home all you like but you never know how a horn really plays until you get into combat.

Well the Venus (with Lakey 7* and Legere 2.25) came through with flying colours. Intonation was very good, as was volume and control. Comparing it with my straight YSS-62 I'd have to say I prefer the Venus.

There's something about the way the sound travels from the horn to the ear on the curved instrument that is closer to the physics of the tenor and alto.

Anyway - lots of positive comments from audience and peers, some of whom are famous for their anti-sop views.

It does feel a little like playing a christmas tree ornament rather than a saxophone but it's a sweet looking thing, especially sitting on the stand with the Barone alto and tenor and the Silver King clarinet.

My only reservation would be that I'm going to need a firmer reed because under combat conditions I tend to push a bit harder and I was having to throttle back to avoid the sudden embarassing cut off that happens when the reed closes onto the tip of the mouthpiece.

Best $307USD (which included delivery to Australia) I've ever spent.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,594 Posts
nice to read good reports about this Chinese sax. I am considering to buy a tenor and a curvy for use here in Africa.

cheers

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
Well the Venus (with Lakey 7* and Legere 2.25) came through with flying colours. Intonation was very good, as was volume and control. Comparing it with my straight YSS-62 I'd have to say I prefer the Venus.
You preferred it to your YSS62? Wow that is saying a lot, and pushing me closer to springing for one of these horns too. Could I ask where you sourced your Venus from - was it from Musical Wheel on Ebay? Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,887 Posts
Well! Nice to hear this and good for you Pat. I too like my BW more than anything that I've had in the soprano realm until I found the Bauhaus Walstein curvy.

Actually, until I found this horn I thought that sopranos were not quite for me (although I still find playing soprano a very challenging thing). Mind you ........... my second best soprano ever is a Keilwerth SX 90 II and what a wonderful saxophone that is with mechanics that are way superior (and difficult to regulate) to the one of the Bauhaus Walstein but I feel more comfortable playing a curvy and I don't get any pain in my right wrist (I know that is because of an incorrect playing position )

·
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You preferred it to your YSS62? Wow that is saying a lot, and pushing me closer to springing for one of these horns too. Could I ask where you sourced your Venus from - was it from Musical Wheel on Ebay? Thanks!
The YSS-62 was a very good horn and I suspect that it was more carefully built than the Venus - but I have no proof of that. It certainly gave me no mechanical trouble in the 20 years I owned it. But, aside from the way the curvy gives the sound back to you, I found the Yamaha became a challenge to play and to own because firstly I had too much money invested in it for the number of times I played it. Secondly I played it less and less because holding the weight out straight hurt my right arm.

Yes, it came from Music Wheel - fast and efficient service, beautifully packed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,887 Posts
I just find deeply disturbing that you want to TAKE your next fall holding a Venus tenor and soprano .........:bluewink::twisted::mrgreen:[rolleyes]

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,134 Posts
Intonation was very good, as was volume and control…
Thanks for the good review. I'm interested specifically in the intonation of the lowest notes. After owning three different inexpensive curvy sopranos, they all had problem intonation below D.

Also, does your soprano have the bell keys on the right or left side of the body?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Strangely, I play more 'Bb-curvie' than C-Mel these days - I have four of the cheap curvaceous blighters... And one of them is a silver Venus, Pat.

I'm watching this with interest, as I have to decide which one (or two...) to keep, so any 'Achilles heel' like "all had problem intonation below D" will be especially checked out in the elimination process. My Venus curvie has all the bell keys (from C down) on the right side - as viewed from behind as when playing - and the modern tilting pinkie table.

I have also got one of the other 'new but older design' LH B/Bb, one Chinese company even described them to me as "for left handed players" :mrgreen: But three of them are really good players (with the caveat of an added really decent mouthpiece) - it's going to be a difficult choice - the fourth just has some strange ergo's...

It's weird that selling all four wouldn't get me even halfway to a genuine Yani, but they are SO enjoyably playable...

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
Thanks for the good review. I'm interested specifically in the intonation of the lowest notes. After owning three different inexpensive curvy sopranos, they all had problem intonation below D.

Also, does your soprano have the bell keys on the right or left side of the body?
I have a Venus curvie and found that intonation was "do-able" on all but the lowest notes (C on down). I opened the key heights as far as I could and still it is unbearably flat down there. It is easy to bring bottom notes down in pitch with a bore insert or with crescents, but the vore need to be expanded or the tone holes moved to raise the pitch.

I still use the curvie quite a bit but I dont' spend too must time below low D.

·
1,594 Posts

wondering how Patmiller´s curvy behave in that point.

·
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wondering how Patmiller´s curvy behave in that point.
Mine is a nickel silver curvy with all the bell keys on the right side (that is my right side as I play it).

Intonation is good but not perfect (just like my YSS-62). And yes, the bell notes were problematic being a tad flat by the tuner but OK by my hearing. I backed off the felts to raise the open pads higher and this made the tuner look good but the change was imperceptible to me.

·
1,594 Posts
maybe the next batch of saxophones will bring an improvement. People tell the achieve to improve every year again.
We will see.
Any comment about finshings and affect to the sound Patmiller? The Seller in Europe said the Copper plated Curvy is more on the bright side, all others the same.

·
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
maybe the next batch of saxophones will bring an improvement. People tell the achieve to improve every year again.
We will see.
Any comment about finshings and affect to the sound Patmiller? The Seller in Europe said the Copper plated Curvy is more on the bright side, all others the same.
Well, I've only played mine, so I haven't got anything to compare it with. But we KNOW from endless discussion on SOTW that science says that finish makes NO difference to the sound - none at all. But we also know from those same discussions that many players will not believe the science and they BELIEVE that materials and finish affect the sound.

As with so may facets of human experience these two groups will never agree. My own observations from playing clarinets of different materials - wood, hard rubber, plastic and metal is that there is no difference in sound caused by the materials.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Four years and counting on my curved rose brass Venus soprano. It has not been played heavily, but it has been played fairly regularly. Still looks and sounds like it did when I unpacked it.
My tuner says the horn's pitch is in the ballpark from top to bottom.
I love it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Where are people buying these? I can't seem to find them online.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts