Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Grumps said:
To make it a Guardala, that would be Dave Guardala; if you can find him. Otherwise, a pretty nice paperweight.

I'm not looking to make it a " guardala " --- i'm looking to make it a playable mouthpiece

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,656 Posts
You could probably but a finished piece for much less than anybody with the tools necessary to do the job would want to finish someone else's unfinished work.

WWBW has them on sale now. Sell your paper weight and buy a finished piece.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Carl H. said:
You could probably but a finished piece for much less than anybody with the tools necessary to do the job would want to finish someone else's unfinished work.

WWBW has them on sale now. Sell your paper weight and buy a finished piece.

mine is an alto mouithpiece not a tenor

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,737 Posts
Have you considered that the piece may not have been finished for a reason? When these first sprang up on Ebay, Guardala's old partner seemed to infer that they were rejects. Sorry to pick on you though, but it just seems to me that any effort to make this a playable piece would take an excess of resources for only the possibility that it might work for you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,333 Posts
Wasnt there a rumour these were some sort of trial design pieces, dead prototypes or otherwise parts rejected for some reason before completion, and they never were sold with the intention of being playable at any point.

At least, i sort of remember a thread a while ago about the gaurdala sell of by dudleys auctions and whether it was above board or not

Good luck getting it finished, I guess its one way of learning about mouthpiece design!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Grumps said:
Have you considered that the piece may not have been finished for a reason? When these first sprang up on Ebay, Guardala's old partner seemed to infer that they were rejects. Sorry to pick on you though, but it just seems to me that any effort to make this a playable piece would take an excess of resources for only the possibility that it might work for you.
Yes, I have thought about that ,the purpose of this thread is really to find out info about how to finish this - I got it on a second chance offer on ebay and did not spend that much $ on it and I think that if I can get it finished it will be worth it

And If you look at my signature you will see that I already have an alto studio model so it does not really matter :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,054 Posts
What does the chamber look like? If that is ok, then maybe you could get somebody who does metal work (probably not somebody who does mouthpiece work) to cut off most of that excess metal around the bottom. Of course, you would need to figure out exactly how long it should be, where the shank should start, etc, but I think you could do that if you really wanted to. Then you would have to find someone to put a facing on it, adjust the baffle and get the chamber adjusted right. Those seem like the steps.

Does the bore go all the way through the fat chunk of metal at the bottom? If it does, then it seems like a refacer/mouthpiece maker with lots of tools, talent and tenacity could do it for you if you gave him lots of time and money.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
It looks like it needs to go to a machine shop, or to someone with a CNC machine...

Heh, wouldn't that be funny...you could send it to Gary Sugal and see if he can finish it for you. He has a CNC machine...

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dirty said:
What does the chamber look like? If that is ok, then maybe you could get somebody who does metal work (probably not somebody who does mouthpiece work) to cut off most of that excess metal around the bottom. Of course, you would need to figure out exactly how long it should be, where the shank should start, etc, but I think you could do that if you really wanted to. Then you would have to find someone to put a facing on it, adjust the baffle and get the chamber adjusted right. Those seem like the steps.

Does the bore go all the way through the fat chunk of metal at the bottom? If it does, then it seems like a refacer/mouthpiece maker with lots of tools, talent and tenacity could do it for you if you gave him lots of time and money.

the chamber is drilled all the way through -- just needs to be made wider

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The projects below are a bit more challenging, but they would make an excellent Guardala mouthpiece!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Try Brian and Erik

Drop these guys an e-mail at http://www.mouthpieceguys.com. They are really respected here in our forum and they'll let you know if the mouthpiece can in fact be made playable, without all the sarcasm. I'm interested to see what they'll say. Keep us posted. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Carl H. said:
Huh?!? :?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts