1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was just about to start unpacking when this showed up at the door:

View attachment 199498

As an aside, I will note that this combo bari/alto-tenor stand was cheaper than the same model without the extra alto/tenor peg. Same thing when I bought a double tenor stand by Hercules. The model that came with one sop and two flute pegs cost less than the same exact model without the 3 pegs. Seemed a no brainer to get the combo stand.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, here are some pics of the actual item:

View attachment 199506 View attachment 199514 View attachment 199522 View attachment 199530

I was looking to buy a used Bari, but found that any modern horn in still good shape was priced somewhat not too far below the cost of a new horn of the same model. And those good used ones that were available were snapped up pretty quickly. The other used baris I found for sale were some combination of old and badly beat up (but some still costing up to $3K).

So when I saw this B991 brand new for under $7K, it seemed the most reasonable option, under the circumstances (These pretty much retail everywhere else new for $9039, it seems).

Can’t yet tell how well it plays, as I’m off to the store to get some Bari reeds now.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
It plays great I'm sure. I have a B992 that's a fantastic horn. Be careful using it with the Hercules stand as the top center part of the stand that holds the U for the bell can hit the underside of the bell lip. I usually put a small towel folded in half over the top of it to add a bit of protection just in case.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
824 Posts
It plays great I'm sure. I have a B992 that's a fantastic horn. Be careful using it with the Hercules stand as the top center part of the stand that holds the U for the bell can hit the underside of the bell lip. I usually put a small towel folded in half over the top of it to add a bit of protection just in case.
Good advice from KeithL - I usually use a Sax Rax Bari Stand, but whilst comparing my newly purchased Series II Bari with the MKVI Bari, I set it down on an On Stage stand. Shortly after I discovered a ding in the Bell. This was several years ago, and I still clearly remember the feeling that I had when I discovered the damage :( .

Good luck with your new Bari, you have purchased the Lexus of Bari Saxes.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that tip about the stand! You’re right about that, and I hadn’t noticed it myself yet. Much appreciated. I’m completely new to the Bari world.

·
824 Posts
You're welcome

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're welcome
Well, the thanks I expressed was actually for KeithL, who gave me the tip and whose post I had quoted.
I hadn’t yet even seen your post at the time I was writing my response.

But nevertheless I am, in fact, thankful for your post and the info it contained as well (along the many other useful posts you have made elsewhere). So here’s my thanks to you too!

·
824 Posts
Thanks, nvilletele you have made an excellent choice.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Looks great. If that stand is anything like mine, also watch out for the adjustable support arm. Depending on how you pick the horn up, it can end up getting knocked upward.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Congrats on the new horn.

At the risk of hijacking your thread, I feel a need to also chime in on the Hercules stand. Used one very successfully for a long time, but just once I set it up and apparently didn't notice that the latch on the center section wasn't properly engaged.

You know where this is going.

Put the horn in the stand and turned to get the mouthpiece ready and WHAM. The thing pivoted to the floor and landed right on the end of the neck, seriously bending the crook. Only time in my life I ever dropped a horn.

Saxrax is my main stand now, but I still use the Hercules now and then, I just make darn sure the center section is latched properly.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
robbieg - very good point about the lower arm. I have similar issues with their alto/tenor stands as well. Always have to remember to check the lower arm is in proper place before setting sax in it.

Tod - not even close to a hijack. That is useful info.

Much appreciated.

·
Registered
681 Posts
robbieg - very good point about the lower arm. I have similar issues with their alto/tenor stands as well. Always have to remember to check the lower arm is in proper place before setting sax in it.
It isn't as annoying with the Low-A, but with my Low-Bb it ends up wanting to slide down to the Low-A placement. So it gets really annoying.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
Thanks for that tip about the stand! You’re right about that, and I hadn’t noticed it myself yet. Much appreciated. I’m completely new to the Bari world.
Wow, you really went after the golden ring! Those are sweet horns.

And the good news is that you need never consider looking for another bari. You are There..

Enjoy!

George

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, you really went after the golden ring! Those are sweet horns.

And the good news is that you need never consider looking for another bari. You are There..

Enjoy!

George
Thanks Doc. I think you’re right about not ever needing to look for another bari. That was one of the factors that went into my decision to splurge on this one. I tried seeking used, but since good used ones were still relatively pricey and few in number, going new here made sense I think.

In truth, I had wanted a B992, but it was hard enough to financially justify this one (even as a retirement present), and there was no similarly deep discounted 992, so I figured this was the one to get. It was time to quit thinking and start playing.

It plays like a dream, by the way. Way better than the old beat-up middle school bari I had once tried, to say the least. I’m going to really have a lot of fun, I foresee.

Cheers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts