Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received more then a week now my new neck Goldbrass neck for my tenor Serie III,and I am very pleased with it!
My original Serie III neck is very nice also,but the Goldbrass is definitely a better match and has improved the sound and feel of my tenor Serie III.
My friend Rispoli at first recommanded highly the Goldbrass neck,and he was right! I had the chance to get one in a trade and is as new!
My thought on the Goldbrass is that the horn does respond much better in the lower and upper range,also has a deeper and richer sound,not that the original was'nt good,,just now that this Goldbrass neck does vibrate more,and has a more open sound sound the the other one!
Of course this is my opinion and feel about this neck! For me it is definitely a positive thing for my tenor III that I really like!
All the best,
Sxobari

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
My question is why doesn't selmer start putting the higher copper necks on all their horns. Why make the gold brass neck an extra, when it could be included with the original horn.

One thing I think accounts for the III gold brass difference is that the bore of these necks is polished and smooth. The stock necks feel like they were burnt to a crisp. Same with the Silver necks they are highly polished on the inside, which I think also affects the sound.

I'm not convinced that the extra copper makes much of a difference. I'm am convinced that these upgraded necks are built with more attention to detail and that may well get you the response you're looking for.

Anyway glad you like your new neck. I think the III neck on the tenor and alto is a superb design. I know I really like the gold brass III on my alto.

·
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Allo Heath
Yes I am really glad about the Goldbrass on my tenor!
You are right that the inside of the stock neck is rougher,kie you described,and the Goldbrass is much smoother!
I am keeping both necks for now,but as for the original neck,I just don't use it anymore!
All the best,
Saxobari

·
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Second thoughts on Goldbrass Neck

Allo guys after owning and testing the Goldbrass tenor sax neck from Selmer,,I really have second thoughts that there is not much difference between the stock III neck then the Goldbrass one!
At first I was impressed but I don't after testing and changing necks playing the same mpc and reed,,from one to the other,,,I really feel that there is a slim and almost no difference!
I don't know maybe my stock neck is an exceptional one,,,or I don't feel and hear much difference! Reeds and mpcs for me makes a worls of differences but between those two necks,,,no!
Any similar experience!?
All the best.
Saxobari

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
Yeah it's all about psychology. You pay good money for something with the hope that will translate into something better then you had and just like me you come full circle realizing that what you had was more than good enough.

Just look at all the people going crazy with ligatures. Some of these people are spending $150 to hold a reed on a mouthpiece....crazy!

Moral of the lesson. Save your money, put it in the bank and keep it there.

·
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Neck again

Allo Heath
Thanks about the reply!
The more I think of it,,Il"l probably trade my Goldbrass neck for a mpc that has been on my mind,,so at least,,there will be a difference in blowing my horn with a different mpc!
You are right,,sometimes we go crazy over all kinds of different gear! Mpcs,,though I do like to try and find the right ,,or at least a very good mpc!
That is how I found my main mpc!
All the best,
Saxobari

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
saxobari said:
Allo guys after owning and testing the Goldbrass tenor sax neck from Selmer,,I really have second thoughts that there is not much difference between the stock III neck then the Goldbrass one!
Now that takes guts. I don't know how many times someone has gotten a new piece of equipment, shouted its praises from the highest hilltop, and then quietly hid out, afraid to admit that it wasn't so hot after all. It's quite natural, of course. None wants to admit making such a mistake or looking foolish. But it's not helpful. And we would all forgive anyway. :angel4:

Your reevaluation helps others who have similar questions. The second situation helps no one because it leaves the impression that a particular piece of equipment was exceptional when, in fact, it was just like any other.

Thanks for getting back to us with a candid follow up.

·
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Neck Goldbrass,or Stock III

Allo Gary
Thanks,,It took me a few weeks to realise,that trial after trial on these two necks,,I really can`t tell much differnce,,and to be honest,,the III is doing the job just as good!The Goldbrass is nicer in finishing I would say,,like where the neck begins on the sax,and also has a pink or redish colour in the brass!It is finished better,but the result is close,or the same!!Some might desagree,,but in my case,,that is my opinion!
I am in a middle of a trade for a mpc,and really have no second thought,,I am sticking with the III stock neck,and trading that neck,as new for another mpc that I have wanted for a while!
All the best
Saxobari

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
;) Yes, I tried several necks on my Ref 36 - including a solid silver Gloger - and ended up staying with the "stock" neck. I do, however, know that mine is better than many/most/all other Selmer Ref 36/54 necks (having tried several and noting differences between all of them).

Sometimes there truly is no place like home. ;)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Dr G said:
Sometimes there truly is no place like home. ;)
That's why I've owned and played the same alto for 35 years, and the same soprano for 30.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Thats why with some things I think its better to not get into such detail--you can drive yourself mad. When I am trying necks or horns lately I am thinking more broadly---if I approach something objectively, I know within a minute or two if its better than what I already have. Usually if it is, the difference is substantial and there is no need to get into further specifics. I find if I am obsessing about the miinute differences is when I really should move on and forget it as what I have is already at that level of playability. The difference in sound or playability has to be quite large for me to justify a purchase....

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
on a Mk VI

Anybody try one on a Mk VI? When I was trying horns a couple years ago, I tried a III neck on my VI tenor and liked the combination, though the III neck was a tad low in diameter so would need to be fitted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts