Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my first sax, a Jupiter tenor and was very pleased after 30 minutes to be able to play a scale on it. The kids found it too loud and ordered me into the hallway to practice. Walking through the doorway, my left hand groping for the lightswitch... the wind started to blow the door shut... I instinctivly reached out for the door with the right hand. Letting go of the bottom of the horn, she penduilmed the mouthpice and reed at speed into my top lip. Ouch, much blood and practice cancelled for a day or two. Comical beginners mistake or what!:cry:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
Those Rovner plastic caps 'do' have a purpose... Sorry for your hit... Worse can be a 'kind' listener hitting horn while you are playing... Sounds like a new Tower of Power tune... 'Blood on the Lips, Some on the Teeth'

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,703 Posts
Thats band but it really sucks when its a refaced metal piece with a thin tip. Those things are weapons.

Oh, by the way. Always have a hand on your sax. You will prevent that problem and have a chance to avoid total disaster of when your strap breaks.

....note I said when, not if. Your strap will break...someday, some time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,803 Posts
I believe it is called " the Snake kiss"

·
3,202 Posts
I have developed the habit of putting my left arm over the horn when it's hanging from the strap which you have to do with an old Conn 10m anyway. Those don't balance unless you have the hook moved but it seems like not a bad idea with modern horns as well. Getting punched in the mouth by a saxophone hurts for sure.

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
Oh, by the way. Always have a hand on your sax. You will prevent that problem and have a chance to avoid total disaster of when your strap breaks.

....note I said when, not if. Your strap will break...someday, some time.
Not a Ray Hyman. I have ones that are 50 years old without a fray or crack.

·
2,828 Posts
In a different way i am always wary? of joe public getting close to you at gigs!..its easy for someone enjoying themselves to fling an arm in your direction with the mouthpiece in you mouth!.
As a rule the band are far enough way from the crowd, but you have to be on the look out for over exuberance,which could very nasty! to oneself! .

·
6,862 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
Not a Ray Hyman. I have ones that are 50 years old without a fray or crack.
Mine are only 30+ years old so I guess I should be able to put my full trust in them.

I still always keep my right hand on the bell, tho', if it's just hanging from the strap. I've seen horns hit the ground, doors, walls, etc. and don't care for my horn to be one of them.

Obsessive/compulsive about my tenor? You bet. Got a problem with that? :twisted:

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I'm trying to figure out this one myself...i smack myself in the face ALL the TIME on the gig while i'm trying to sway around and look like I'm enjoying myself

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,803 Posts
you can have your ring moved to a position where this isn't happening anymore or there are special adapters which do the same thing.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Dont be too sad- our bandleader brings drunk women on stage all the time. They've got the uncanny ability to run into the bell and knock a mouthpiece right into your face! And you're not alone- they drew blood on me when playing a gig in the Dominican Republic! Silly drunks.

Just try to keep your eyes open! And, as someone suggested earlier, use the mouthpiece cap when you can!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts