Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys.
I have a 1960s conn 16m. When i bought it they gave me a gator case. But the sax wiggles in the case as i move. Can this damage my instrument? Currently i am using some bubble wrap to stop it from moving as much. But still feels lile it moves. Any ideas how to fix it? Should i get. A new case?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,349 Posts
Id personally be inclined to rig something a little nicer using what you have. Not that there is anything wrong with your horn but really nice cases can be quite expensive. Of course tech work is too. There are some threads where people have done mods on their case and even rebuilt vintage cases. I would find a material that does not trap moisture like your bubble wrap. A nice foam block covered with fabric might just do the trick...a sax pillow :)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Its exceedingly difficult finding a case that perfectly fits / supports your saxophone but I agree with Sigmund - I suggest just spend some time trying various padding options 'till you get your horn comfy eg: immobile. Personally I like Gator cases. Many of my horns have supplementary padding in their cases and while it may appear cheap and ugly appearances matter not.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
29,884 Posts
Agreed - you must not have it loose in the case. No you don't need a new case, as mentioned some nice foam is fine. It must be just right though, not too tight not too loose.

Do you have an end stop in the tenon reciver, can't see. If not you should have (at least a champagne cork) otherwise the octave key pin can take a lot of knocking and get damaged.

[EDIT aha, just saw the other pic.!!!]

Make sure it's a good fit, looks like it has fallen out.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I've had this problem with old left bell side tone hole horns. Velcro a few pieces of closed cell foam to the lid lining. Get the Velcro that is in self-adhesive strips.

The adhesive is tenacious enough to hold the foam pieces, but will remove easily should you want to use the case for a different horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,818 Posts
there is a champagne cork in the pictures, looks a bit loose a fit only at the top but I don’t think that there is much room for movement since the bell rim is nearly as tight as possible, if you feel there is movement there just put a but of bubble wrap between the bell rim and the case and nothing will move anymore( it simply can’t).

The gator cases aren’t bad but there are certainly better cases out there.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I use a couple of these velvet Crown Royal bags to hold sax necks and other thngs in the case.
I haven't tried this but you might be able to fill one or of these with packing peanuts, sew up the end and put it in the case to take up some space.

The thing I find disconcerting is my sax moves around in the case when it's just sitting there overnight next to the couch. CrownRoyalBag.jpg

·
3,518 Posts
Get an adjustable-length end plug! Will keep the sax nice and snug in there.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Get an adjustable-length end plug! Will keep the sax nice and snug in there.

I hope that's a high mass screw on the Gap Cap. I want my horn to sound better while it's in the case.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I purchased the Gap caps from Key leaves when they were having a half price sale. (2 for $40.00), for Alto and Tenor. Although I have these instruments in the Hiscox artist cases they were still loose. The Gap caps fixed this problem beautifully and they are both rock solid in their cases now.

·
3,112 Posts
Some well placed foam can take up some of that space. My zephyr came in a gator case that fit very poorly. When I had it in to fix a few issues from shipping, the tech glued in a couple of pieces of foam to replace my bubble wrap that have helped a lot. I got the horn during the pandemic, so it hasn't been through the paces really, but it's felt a lot more secure in there.

0AE801E6-F66E-49DD-A6DC-12FC6C55274A.jpeg

4CCE43B9-8AC7-41BF-85E9-731F44F9F080.jpeg

9BEBF2F5-EB7E-4CF5-83AD-E28FAEF66B8F.jpeg

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,427 Posts
I haven’t tried the gap cap but I really like these end plugs for protection of the octive mechanism.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I’ve got the GUO plug and I don’t like it. It’s very loose on my Mark VI. It often flies away while taking the sax in or out of the case.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Re: the GUO end cap - the concept is fine. IF it fits your tenon receiver doubly fine, if not PITA.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts