Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! This is so cool. A couple weeks ago one of my 7th grade students came up to me and said he had a present for me, and handed me a 3D printed mouthpiece that HE made! I was blown away and knew I had to make a video on it. Here's that video! I play a few different styles so you can really hear it. Let me know what you think!

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
482 Posts
That is amazingly cool. It sounds fantastic. Did your student write the design file for the mouthpiece and would he be willing to share it? My oldest son is in 6th grade and is playing around with 3D printers, and also plays alto. I know he would get a huge kick out of printing his own mouthpiece.

·
Banned
652 Posts
Hey everyone! This is so cool. A couple weeks ago one of my 7th grade students came up to me and said he had a present for me, and handed me a 3D printed mouthpiece that HE made! I was blown away and knew I had to make a video on it. Here's that video! I play a few different styles so you can really hear it. Let me know what you think!

Awesome. He should go into business. I'll pay to have him print a new copy of my busted Brilhart HR (still grieving.)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Listened to this today, and i have liked it so much...Of course you know how to use the material, but i would say this piece has a Brilhart tonalin vibe to it.
Is it based in a specific model or mouthpiece?

I usually play a tonalin but have tried 3d mouthpieces too. In the end there was some strange sensation when playing the 3d mouthpiece, something about the feeling of the material in the mouth, not sure, but i didn't feel totally confortable on it, although it was a very enjoyable piece. I had to go back to the tonalin, which is other kind of plastic, much more confortable for me.

Big thumbs up for your student's work and your great playing!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
You sound great on it! Interesting that you commented that it was comfortable to play, because as I watched the video, it seemed like you were having fun from start to end. It was apparent from the video that you enjoyed playing it.

I’d be impressed by anyone who could successfully make a saxophone mouthpiece as a DIY project. The age of your student makes it even more impressive to me!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I’d be impressed by anyone who could successfully make a saxophone mouthpiece as a DIY project. The age of your student makes it even more impressive to me!
Could be the kid downloaded an open source printer file and slapped into his/her mum/dad's printer?
https://www.yeggi.com/q/saxophone+mouthpiece/

No disrespect in that - folks I know with home 3D printers still find it a challenge here and there.

But, if so, actually, it'd be interesting to know which design? Maybe even SOTW could start a 3D printer model design review thread!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
You always sound fantastic (even when you struggle to stir the tuning on a C-mel...). However, comparing to other videos where you play on your Meyer (for example, Stars fell on Alabama), this 3D printed mouthpiece doesn't have the same depth.
Of course, I realize the comparison is unfair!

·
Premium Member
15,479 Posts
You sound great as always! Just tell your student to be very careful not to take someone else’s current production design and start doing this stuff. It’s always great to hear you with any set up!

·
Registered
3 Posts
As a hobbyist with very little expendable cash, this seems like a very interesting concept. I started doing some research to see if there were designs available on the internet that were based off of high quality saxophone mouthpieces. Unfortunately, it seems there are some, but basic information, like baffle, tip opening, etc are not available, so it would be difficult to replicate a high quality one without designing it yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interestingly enough, SYOS sells exclusively 3D printed mouthpieces that seem to be of very high quality. It would seem that its at least feasible for hobbyists to make inexpensive, but still GOOD mouthpieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interestingly enough, SYOS sells exclusively 3D printed mouthpieces that seem to be of very high quality. It would seem that its at least feasible for hobbyists to make inexpensive, but still GOOD mouthpieces.
Coincidentally they just reached out to me and are sending me a whole bunch of their mouthpieces for me to do a few videos on!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
You sound great as always! Just tell your student to be very careful not to take someone else’s current production design and start doing this stuff. It’s always great to hear you with any set up!
Are any designs actually protected by patent? It is an interesting question - and I agree that it is not cool to blatantly rip off a design that is in production. Of course, if many people are copping the same design that is out of production (Link, Guardala, or other), who is copying whom?

I, too, am interested in the source design for the student’s 3D printed object. I imagine there could be many designs out there. 3D scanners are becoming quite accessible in colleges and make spaces, so there are fewer impediments to create homages.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts