Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to all saxophone players around!

Recently I have purchased AMT LS. And I have to say I am somewhat disappointed. The quality of the build, wires and everything is fantastic. But there is something in the sound that just sounds wrong to me. It seems like the "spark" of the sound is missing. It sounds way too smooth and it doesn't capture the volume and those higher overtones.It's as if I was playing behind some object.

I tried using my sound card preamp, the belt pack pre-amp that comes with it, TC Helicon Voicetone Create XT preamp, tried different cables. Tried removing the wind shield that is on it and all without getting more of the sound I hear while playing against the wall.

Today I played with positioning, I could get more of the high frequency detail and edge by putting it as far away and above the bell as the clip would allow. This is the recording:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17042909/saxRecordings/RandomByEar/AMTLS_LatestTrick.mp3

I am recording this in a very 'wet' room, that is 2.5 x 3 meters. I wonder if that might be the reason for my unsatisfactory results, since I might be getting quite of the room reflections in there with the cardroid polar pattern.

Here's another recording on Shure SM 57 that I did recently. It somehow has more edge, detail and that 'zing' in the sound, even while being a bit less 'natural' sounding and capturing less of the 'presence'.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17042909/saxRecordings/GeshemSecondPartTest.mp3

Am I going nuts?
Please tell me what you think!

Gennadiy

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the thing, and I'm not entirely happy with how Shure SM57 sounds (it is not as full and warm as the sound I hear when I'm playing). I wonder if Shure Beta 98H/C does a better job than that.

I noticed that this live recording of Brian Culbertson (featuring Dave Koz, Eric Darius, Eric Marienthal and others) are all using Shure Beta 98H/C.

That is except Michael Lington in this one:

He sounds great for a clip on mic but I don't see what model he is using. I couldn't find information about that on the net either.

They all sound fantastic with those clip ons.

Thanks!
Gennadiy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Gennadiy,

I'd be interested in speaking to you more about your situation. Remember, AMT makes many different microphone, originally intended for live use. We have many options for ALL types of players. Though the LS maybe doesn't fit your situation it does fit 95% of the saxophone players out there looking for a natural sounding mic.. Other options might include the P808 which is used with some saxophone players that need to hear more of a 'bite' and are not necessarily used to the "flat" (frequency response) and natural sound that AMT mics are known for.

Let me know if I can help..

AMT

That's the thing, and I'm not entirely happy with how Shure SM57 sounds (it is not as full and warm as the sound I hear when I'm playing). I wonder if Shure Beta 98H/C does a better job than that.

I noticed that this live recording of Brian Culbertson (featuring Dave Koz, Eric Darius, Eric Marienthal and others) are all using Shure Beta 98H/C.

That is except Michael Lington in this one:

He sounds great for a clip on mic but I don't see what model he is using. I couldn't find information about that on the net either.

They all sound fantastic with those clip ons.

Thanks!
Gennadiy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts