Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi techniciens.
i ve tried to find other thread on soorano s High A ,but..
My Yamaha 62 Purple lable is a very nice horn.
Love the tone,richness..etc
Even played along side a Serie III,and Man the sound is what i love on that 62.
Though it s always been a bit sensible,or touchee in intonation on my high A..
Is there anything to do?
Or ,that s the way they are on those models?
Thanks for your expertise and opinions.
Regards
Saxobari

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
Top A is often an issue. First off I always recommend play the note and sustain the same top A after releasing the octave key.

If it is OK sharp without the octave key (but still playing A2) then the issue is obviously related to that.

(Also I presume the A1 is OK, if that is also sharp then look at the G key height.)

So if the sharpness is not there when you released the octave key it could be mouthpiece mismatch or some issue with octave pip.

On a Yamaha 62 extremely unlikely that it is anything wrong with the horn so I would first of all try different mouthpieces. Also try pushing on a bit more but relaxing or lipping down the high notes. Then get a tech to look at it. A tech that plays well and can test with their own mouthpiece and compare with yours. It could be the key height of the actual octave key pad.

See this other thread:

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...ir-hiss-from-octave-pip&p=3771170#post3771170

·
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Thomas
Really apreaciate your reply.
All the best
Mario

·
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Peter
My G key cup is definitely much lower compared to the enligment of B A and middle C ,
So that maybe my problem,or they usually leave that G cup a bit lower?
Thanks
Regards
Mario
QUOTE=Pete Thomas;3771078]Top A is often an issue. First off I always recommend play the note and sustain the same top A after releasing the octave key.

If it is OK sharp without the octave key (but still playing A2) then the issue is obviously related to that.

(Also I presume the A1 is OK, if that is also sharp then look at the G key height.)

So if the sharpness is not there when you released the octave key it could be mouthpiece mismatch or some issue with octave pip.

On a Yamaha 62 extremely unlikely that it is anything wrong with the horn so I would first of all try different mouthpieces. Also try pushing on a bit more but relaxing or lipping down the high notes. Then get a tech to look at it. A tech that plays well and can test with their own mouthpiece and compare with yours. It could be the key height of the actual octave key pad.

See this other thread:

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...ir-hiss-from-octave-pip&p=3771170#post3771170[/QUOTE]

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
For what it is worth, Yamaha's printed spec for that G key opening is 6.1mm

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
That opening (the one under LH ring finger) is less interlocked to other stack keys than most, so adjusting it is easier. If it seems unusually low, taking off some cork is a fast and easily reversible way to see if that's the problem.

·
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Gordon amd Turf for the information.
All the best
Saxobari

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I think Yamaha is the only manufacturer who published a list.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts