Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! I've done a couple solo gigs with own material and just wanted to get some feedback from fellow saxophonists. I already posted this at a free jazz-thread, but there haven't been any comments, so I try this sub-forum.

Here's a clip of my latest solo sax concert. Still working with this solo sax concept and asking questions - how much electronics to be used? how to work with loops and keep the music structurally changing?

And of course I'm working with the sound, always working with that! All comments are welcome. All comments are welcome! So, here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6tah7hk2jgl1qyr/Improvisaatio & Clapping Music @ Sorbus 22.5.2013.avi

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,365 Posts
I'm really enjoying the clip... what's your set up here with the electronics & effects?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, nachoman. I have there a Boss Pitch Shifter, Line6 Echo Park and Zvex Fuzzfactory. For looping, Boss RC30.

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
Sounds very John Hassel ish in parts. I liked the sound. The camera shake effect in the clip is very annoying. *sorry but you said all comments are welcome ;-)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marton, you're true about shaking, sorry for that.

The notion about John Hasselism isn't that far-fetched. Though I haven't listened much Hassel, I've listened a lot players like Nils-Petter Molvaer and Eivind Aarset, who have been influenced by him.

·
Registered
40 Posts
To start I'd like to say what you're doing is pretty cool. I don't do much ambient stuff myself and I don't have any audio or video of me doing ambient stuff.

But I play anywhere from 150-275 gigs a year, depending on what I got going on.

I'm not familiar with your model loop station but mine gives me 3 tracks to do my thing with. Extra tracks gives you a lot more room to do everything.

Here's two similar examples.

This one is more of an arrangement that allows me to really develop the jam into something really full and the effects are really window dressing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfW7dDoEryI

This one exploits the loop station and getting "more" out of it than just layering tracks. I also use the effects much more for creating individual soloing sections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW6HjgfifdI

Both of these are done with song form in mind. That really helps provide musical interest in addition to just being some booty-shaking beats.

But these, like anything, are just a tool in the box.

Noah

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Noah,

I'm using boss rc30 and yes, it's limited compared to the "big boss" that you are using. It's two tracks and little complicated to switch between tracks on the fly.

I feel that you are really nailing the rhythms for those loops, impressive!

Mine stuff is really work in progress but hopefully it develops to a point where loops are really organic part of the music. I saw that you posted to an another thread for solosax videos, I'll post some links there...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here's a good resource for reaching out into the larger looping community.

http://www.livelooping.org/

And the loopers delight group on Facebook. You'd fit in great there! There's a ton of ambient artists and their variety of tech really is extraordinary. And there are other options besides boss, especially if you have a knack for software.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh dear, another forum - when do i practice :) No, thanks for the info, I didn't know that a forum of this type does exist.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re : Re: My solo sax with electronics and looping

I love the style, ambient/lounge music is always really artistic. Personally, I would add more electronics (experimental/lounge DJ style) by inserting some nice drums loops, synthesizer sounds, arpeggiator and maybe back vocals in background, something you always hear in real high class European clubs. Your style seems to be very experimental and it's really great. Blending more electronic sounds to the saxophone would give more body/background to the sound and it also creates a great duality between old and new genre, I think it's what you're looking for when I hear your solo.
You can have a look to some songs by Ravin, an ambient/lounge music DJ who integrates many cultural styles (world music) to his songs. Some songs are maybe too much electronic for what you're looking for but it can always be a good inspiration. His songs are playing in many Buddha Bar cds.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice to see this thread popping up again! In fact after that gig I haven't played much with loopers and stuff, for a year now I've been more focused on pure sax sound and what can be done with it. Think it's soon time to get back working with this electronic thing.

And thanks RoCkkk, I hear that you really thought about your comments - you gave some thoughts to think about! However personally I feel that I don't want to get drumtracks when playing solo, I don't have any special reason, just feel that I like to work it all starting from the sax. For drums and other things it would be nice to have a duo. But I do feel like getting more body / bigger sound when playing solo. Mixing old and new is important, I have to think about what sort of mix I really want to make.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kingsax: yes, I've heard some stuff from these guys - not completely my thing, but they do work it good together!

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Really refreshing stuff. It was nice to hear an ambient use of the looper with effects similar to what I use.

I run a mixer to my Boss ME80 to an RC30. They are great. I haven't found the need to buy the 50 or 300 yet.

All my stuff is a little closer to the style that DubFX and Mr. Woodnote (I use my yamaha synth a ton) play but I really like anything that makes use of the looper and Effects.

@Noah - I got away from the beatboxing for the soul reason it eats up too much time when your making a tune with lot's of layers. Also even though I would put effects on it to give it a lot of deep bass I could never pull it off better than the drum sounds in my keyboard. But you seem to get into your tunes quite fast and it works for the style you're doing.

If it's just solo sax loops and effects here's one I did a while ago. It's got some wind synth in it for fun too. https://soundcloud.com/seanwintersax/first-rate-live-looping

1 - 16 of 16 Posts